#5 Prospect - Billy Rowell

Tony-OH

Some good points here but let me explain some of my reasoning here and it will also give everyone a little bit of a clue about the next few picks. To me, the top end of our pitching prospects are already on the list. Everyone else I see as either a 3rd/4th starter at best, back end of the rotation guy, a reliever, injury-marred, or just too inexperienced to know for sure.

Can I take back my vote for Erbe at #6? :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Rowell is the 5th best prospect, is this an indication he'll stick at 3B? If he can't stick at 3B, I don't see how he can possibly be ahead of Snyder or even Reimold. And if you're basing this off potential then why isn't Erbe ahead of Rowell?

I do think that Rowell can stick at third, but he's athletic enough to play the outfield before first base anyways.

As for potential, I obviously feel Rowell has more potential than Erbe. Once Erbe is announced you'll see where I'm coming from.

I do think that Rowell can stick at third, but he's athletic enough to play the outfield before first base anyways.

As for potential, I obviously feel Rowell has more potential than Erbe. Once Erbe is announced you'll see where I'm coming from.

Tony,

Do you see the back end of the O's bullpen being filled out with names like Liz, D. Hernandez and Erbe in a few years? If so should the organization be using them in those roles now?

Tony,

Do you see the back end of the O's bullpen being filled out with names like Liz, D. Hernandez and Erbe in a few years? If so should the organization be using them in those roles now?

I'd rather not get off Rowell in his thread so if you ask me this when we get to those guys I'll be glad to answer in more detail.

Short answer though, I can see all of them in the backend of a major league bullpen at the very least because they all miss bats.

I'm not in the pro Rowell camp. I think he's barely above Tyler Henson as prospects - with Henson having better defensive ability (as long as he cuts down on the errors) and Rowell more power. If Henson gains in plate discipline, he could catch up to Rowell next season, imo.

Not really a slam ;) just a disagreement.

I'm not in the pro Rowell camp. I think he's barely above Tyler Henson as prospects - with Henson having better defensive ability (as long as he cuts down on the errors) and Rowell more power. If Henson gains in plate discipline, he could catch up to Rowell next season, imo.

Not really a slam ;) just a disagreement.

Well Rowell played a level above Henson at a younger age and they put up almost identical numbers.

I just don't see how you can ignore Rowell's potential.

And unless you've seen Rowell play, I don't think you should say much about his defense. Rowell and Henson should both be in Frederick next season, so I guess I'll find out for sure who's the better defender.

Well Rowell played a level above Henson at a younger age and they put up almost identical numbers.

I just don't see how you can ignore Rowell's potential.

And unless you've seen Rowell play, I don't think you should say much about his defense. Rowell and Henson should both be in Frederick next season, so I guess I'll find out for sure who's the better defender.

I saw him play twice at Frederick last season. That's probably not enough to get a good feel for him, but my first impression was that he's a little stiff-limbed - when he was batting and fielding - and he's going to get bigger, so that issue could get worse. The player he reminded me of was the big 3rd baseman the O's pimped a decade or so ago named Minor - I think - who played college basketball - dude could shoot 3's with anyone. I get it that you swear by his potential. I just disagree. Henson's what - 9 months older?

I saw him play twice at Frederick last season. That's probably not enough to get a good feel for him, but my first impression was that he's a little stiff-limbed - when he was batting and fielding - and he's going to get bigger, so that issue could get worse. The player he reminded me of was the big 3rd baseman the O's pimped a decade or so ago named Minor - I think - who played college basketball - dude could shoot 3's with anyone. I get it that you swear by his potential. I just disagree. Henson's what - 9 months older?

Apples and oranges, I think. Henson's a very athletic kid who, if things worked out, might be a 15-20 HR guy. Rowell's a huge powerful guy who could put up 35 HR a year if he reaches his ceiling.

But how do you reconcile this?

Henson - age 20 - Delmarva: .265/.310/.392

Rowell -- age 18 - Delmarva: .273/.335/.426

It's hard for me to look at that and not think Rowell's the better prospect. He was at the same level two years younger, and did better.

His ceiling is enormous, he's got a ton of talent and massive raw power. He was regarded as the best prep hitter in the 2006 draft.

Reaching it will be tough, but he's got massive potential, which is why he's still rated so highly despite mediocre performance the last two years.

Second best prep hitter. Travis Snider was more highly regarded.

Second best prep hitter. Travis Snider was more highly regarded.

Rowell went 9th, Snider went 14th, both are now 20 years old. T. Snider made his MLB debut this year with the Blue Jays while Rowell struggled at Frederick.

I had a chance to see Rowell many times this season with the Keys and he looked a long way from being a ML talent. Based on what I saw last season the O's are hurting prospect wise if he is our 5th best right now. Defensively he looked awkward, offensively I never saw him hit the ball hard in a twenty or so AB's.

Rowell went 9th, Snider went 14th, both are now 20 years old. T. Snider made his MLB debut this year with the Blue Jays while Rowell struggled at Frederick.

Right now Snider certainly looks like the better prospect. I was very impressed by him in that last series we had with the Blue Jays.

It is true they are "both now 20 years old," however, Snider was 20 all season long (DOB 2/2/88) and Rowell was 19 all season long (DOB 9/10/88). I don't see Rowell as likely to zoom through the minors and reach the majors by the end of next season, though, so I'd definitely agree that Snider is well ahead of Rowell at this juncture even considering the 7-month age difference.

Apples and oranges, I think. Henson's a very athletic kid who, if things worked out, might be a 15-20 HR guy. Rowell's a huge powerful guy who could put up 35 HR a year if he reaches his ceiling.

But how do you reconcile this?

Henson - age 20 - Delmarva: .265/.310/.392

Rowell -- age 18 - Delmarva: .273/.335/.426

It's hard for me to look at that and not think Rowell's the better prospect. He was at the same level two years younger, and did better.

Frobby, tell me where I said Rowell isn't the better prospect. :)

I already said that the big advantage Rowell has is in power.

I think it's a little silly to project 35 homers a year for someone who may very well never play in the majors.

I think it's a little silly to project 35 homers a year for someone who may very well never play in the majors.

It just that it really isn't close between Henson and Rowell. Rowell is the better prospect by a wide margin, IMO.

And judging by errors and fielding%, Rowell is actually the better defender:

Rowell FLD%-.925

Henson FLD%-.917

I know it's not the best stat to use, but what else do we really have?

"Barely above," you said. I'd say at this point Rowell has a pretty sizable lead. But I don't want to argue further about this, because I like Henson as a prospect, and he's moving up the ladder even as we speak with his early HWL performance.

Archived