Elias under investigation for "Fraud" (Update: MLB denies)

Tony-OH

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why even reopen this topic, if the other thread was mistakenly deleted?    The original article was thoroughly discredited. 

I for one and glad the topic is reopened, so that when I briefly saw the thread title Saturday morning and then noted it was gone later, that I was not totally losing my mind!  ?

Although, I did google Elias and fraud and found the news and saw it was debunked so figured that was why the thread was removed if it had existed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jerios55 said:

Well, I saw the first link/thread and didn't see the update until this thread, so I am glad the update was posted. 

Honestly, I was in the same boat. I went to go read any updates and then found it was gone so I reopened it. Now we have the rest of the story and not surprisingly, it was all a bunch of crap.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why even reopen this topic, if the other thread was mistakenly deleted?    The original article was thoroughly discredited. 

I accidentally deleted it by phone and was unable to restore. It was a finger error, not a content one. Though I agree. It need not be discussed further. It is totally discredited.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

I accidentally deleted it by phone and was unable to restore. It was a finger error, not a content one. Though I agree. It need not be discussed further. It is totally discredited.

In light of the fact that several posters (including Tony) hadn’t seen that MLB had rebutted the original article, it’s probably worthwhile to leave this thread here.   

If it already wasn't obvious enough this was lazy reporting and a hit job, the author and the NYDN retweeted the article again today, after MLB clearly debunked it. Furthermore, from Camden Chat:

A cursory Googling by an interested observer turns up this link on the MLB website, which appears to be the current document outlining the MLB pension plan. It specifies the following under “Who Is Eligible”:

If you work as a coach, a trainer, an assistant trainer/physical therapist, or a manager after that date, you are eligible to participate in the Pension Plan if a club designates you to participate in the Pension Plan.

This language is clearly inclusive of coaches beyond simply uniformed personnel on the MLB staff, contrary to what Madden says. Trainers and physical therapists do not get uniform numbers, yet they can be designated.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, weams said:

GOD I hate phones and my stupid fat fingers!

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Szymborski is right on point. This is the kind of reporting that would have gotten people fired in the past. Lazy reporting while looking to make a name by "breaking" a scandal that is not there. 

I actually meant to say that he had several more tweets after this one about this.  If you haven’t seen them, check them out.

But this first one is the basic point he is making and yes, he is right on.  I would like to see Elias comment on this.

4 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

If reporters, etc. were really held accountable for their lies and other misreporting,  maybe the poor reporting would get better.  But then, some of them would have to go out and get an honest job.  

Umpires too...

• Upvote 1