Theo Epstein

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s awful..but I’m not sure I put him below PA.  At least he spends money and tries to get better.

Now, he doesn’t understand  how to get better but he has at least tried.

Of course, the sexual harassment stuff is a whole other issue.  When you put that in the mix, he’s probably worse.  

But I think there is at least a discussion to be had and that’s pretty sad in its own right.

Pirates owner is worse.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think I was pretty clear:

“I think it’s too soon to judge the sons.    I’m not saying they’re great...”  

I do not think they’ve hamstrung Elias that much.   Does he have some financial constraints?    Sure.    But I think the bigger test of that will come in a year or two when   the young talent is more experienced and they are ready to contend if some key pieces are added.   

It’s not too early if they are already not allowing their hand picked guy to do what he wants.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My recollection is they took over after the season flopped. 

I don’t think it’s real clear how long PA has been out of it.     The brothers certainly became more visible in the second half of ‘18 than they’d been previously, but it already had been a long while since PA had appeared in public or been quoted anywhere.   

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They were definitely heavily involved when the Os made the deals in 2018...which is more evidence that they care more about money than doing what’s best for the team.

I know they lauded the Gausman trade in which the O's got International slot money they didn't use in exchange for dumping O'Day's contract.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know they lauded the Gausman trade in which the O's got International slot money they didn't use in exchange for dumping O'Day's contract.

I don't believe you've ever mentioned this before.

For me, the jury is still out on the sons.  Elias seems to be able to do a lot more than his predecessors.  Making progress in the international/South American markets is huge.  I know it's easy to say that the sons are just as bad as PA, or not markedly better, however I still want to see if they spend as the team graduates its home grown talent and becomes better.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't believe you've ever mentioned this before.

For me, the jury is still out on the sons.  Elias seems to be able to do a lot more than his predecessors.  Making progress in the international/South American markets is huge.  I know it's easy to say that the sons are just as bad as PA, or not markedly better, however I still want to see if they spend as the team graduates its home grown talent and becomes better.  

I'm not saying they are as bad, just that the purse strings appear to be a lot tighter.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

But we'd be bitching if they were going out to spend money on a free agent at a 55 win team saying we're not ready yet.  

I agree that I would be bitching if they spent money on a free agent when they didn't spend their full allotments on the draft and the International market. 

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree that I would be bitching if they spent money on a free agent when they didn't spend their full allotments on the draft and the International market. 

Well bitch on, brother.  Spending every last dollar of the draft and international markets should guarantee success.  

Sharpening my pitchfork as we speak.