Nunez DFA

VaBird1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I wanted them to trade Trumbo to Colorado, he would’ve hit 100 home runs there, and they would’ve stuck him at first base because they’re not idiots.

Colorado had Ian Desmond at the time and payroll wise were maxed out. I can see why that didn't happen. Plus they have to play in SF and SD, two non friendly pitchers parks. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The devil's advocate would like to point out that Nunez was a bit better in 2020.  I don't disagree with the overall point but Renfroe is coming off a pretty rough season.

Yes, that is true. Nunez was around an .815 OPS and a 121 OPS+ in a two-month season. Renfroe struggled in Tampa for a short season, his first in the AL. In 2019, their offensive production was fairly comparable. Renfroe is a decent defender, but not a gold glove out there. Nunez, well someone should hide his glove. 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

From @NCRaven “By mid-season, Santander, Hays, and Diaz in the OF, Mountcastle at 1B, and Mancini DH (or vice versa).”

In my first comment I did neglect Santander, Which is like the father with five kids forgetting that he actually has a sixth. And as one of five sons, I can tell you for sure that really does happen.

I neglected him in my first comment, butRaven had the best alignment. The only problem is that you have the question of what to do with Mullins and Stewart.

I’m not convinced that Diaz will hit and Hayes did nothing to prove he can stay healthy. 

51 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not convinced that Diaz will hit and Hayes did nothing to prove he can stay healthy. 

Even so, 2021 is the perfect opportunity for the Orioles to find out if Diaz can hit and if Hays can stay healthy. Nunez isn't a long-term piece for the O's if they ever intend to contend.

• Upvote 3

Just now, wildcard said:

The O's have Hays, Mullins and Santander in the OF with Diaz joining the OF something this  coming season.  Mancini moving to 1B/DH and Mountcastle available for IB/DH/LF.   That is six players for 5 spots.   If the O's spend 2M on Nunez he would not have a spot and the money is guaranteed for all season.     Why spend that money and have it block Diaz from making the majors if he is ready in May?  

Just now, Philip said:

From @NCRaven “By mid-season, Santander, Hays, and Diaz in the OF, Mountcastle at 1B, and Mancini DH (or vice versa).”

In my first comment I did neglect Santander, Which is like the father with five kids forgetting that he actually has a sixth. And as one of five sons, I can tell you for sure that really does happen.

I neglected him in my first comment, butRaven had the best alignment. The only problem is that you have the question of what to do with Mullins and Stewart.

6 or 7 guys for 5 spots. I suspect somebody HAS to be traded, or thrown into a different trade. Even on a rebuilding club the math just doesn't work.

Just now, SteveA said:

They dumped him to keep Chris Davis, basically.

That's how I think of it, not that they dumped him to make room for the young guys.

I have resigned myself to the fact that CD will finish out his contract here in Baltimore. That is a definite restriction that Elias is working under. From on high (the Bros.) It is the only restriction I can see but a restriction nonetheless. Is what it is. :noidea:

4 hours ago, Philip said:

If you didn’t have Chris Davis, you would still have a surplus of guys who do the same thing that Nunez does, who do more than Nunez does and do it either better or cheaper or both.

Without Nunez, we still have a crunch, but the roster becomes clearer and more versatile.

You are making a lot of assumptions here, especially when health is concerned.

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Colorado had Ian Desmond at the time and payroll wise were maxed out. I can see why that didn't happen. Plus they have to play in SF and SD, two non friendly pitchers parks. 

Yes that’s true. But Desmond was moved to First from A different position(ss?) So I was considering that they might move him back to make room for Trumbo. Oh well, it didn’t happen.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are making a lot of assumptions here, especially when health is concerned.

Not really. Even in a-reasonable-worst-case scenario, we have multiple guys who can fill in without dipping into AAA. Nunez has zero defensive ability( and he can’t run, either, for whatever that’s worth.) Losing Nunez loses a DH and nothing more, and we have plenty of them. His absence causes exactly zero problems and solves a few.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Thanks for the analysis.  :)

“Stupid move” was not exactly an in depth analysis either.  Elias makes a good point, Nunez is not a good fit on this roster.  That’s true even if Davis weren’t on it.  He’s got one tool 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

They are 4th and 5th outfielders.

Well I suppose that depends on where Stewart can maximize his ability, but the team doesn’t need five outfielders on the 25 man roster. Especially because Mancini can stand in right field, and Mountcastle can allegedly play left. Makes Stewart more superfluous.

You’ve got the four regulars, and two substitutes playing other positions. Stewart looked mostly ok in right, I think, butI’d still rather have Mullins.

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well I suppose that depends on where Stewart can maximize his ability, but the team doesn’t need five outfielders on the 25 man roster. Especially because Mancini can stand in right field, and Mountcastle can allegedly play left. Makes Stewart more superfluous.

You’ve got the four regulars, and two substitutes playing other positions. Stewart looked mostly ok in right, I think, butI’d still rather have Mullins.

I can agree with that, to a point. There are factors that could likely keep both in Baltimore for a while. Mullins and Stewart can be 4th and 5th OF's on this (at least) 26-man roster in the beginning of the season. With Nunez getting DFA'd, Stewart will likely get the majority of his at bats at DH. Stewart is a tick below average tracking balls and needs to continue working on his routes, but the arm was average-ish from RF. He might be a decent DH if he can get comfortable and stop pressing, but he is not a middle of the order guy for me. Stewart is a LH bat, and we do not have many at the moment and that helps him for now. If Stewart does not produce early, he may be sent down when Diaz is ready. Someone has to go, unless there is an injury. Let me be clear, I am not high on Stewart and I do not think he is long for the organization. He has been passed, or is being passed by the end of 2021, by several more talented players. 

Mancini should not be playing OF much anymore, IMO. There is no need for that with our current OF depth. Let Trey focus on 1B/DH duties.

To me, Mountcastle looked good in the OF for a guy with little experience there. He is one of the most athletic players on the team, which I know surprised many here. The arm keeps him in LF, but I really think he will be about average there now, and eventually an above average LF. He'll back up at 1B when Trey needs a day. 

Mullins really showed he can play this year. I hope he gets on the field 3-4 times a week. He is our best CF. He takes some pressure off Hays when he pushes him to LF, which would help Hays stay healthy. 

I think we'll see one reserve INF to start the year. Mancini, Y. Sanchez, Iglesias, Ruiz and probably Valaika. The flexibility of Sanchez and Valaika would allow that. If Iglesias gets dinged up again, then it would make sense to keep two reserve INF's. Urias showed me a lot when he was up, though I could see him getting more work in AAA with Richie Martin in 2021. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I can agree with that, to a point. There are factors that could likely keep both in Baltimore for a while. Mullins and Stewart can be 4th and 5th OF's on this (at least) 26-man roster in the beginning of the season. With Nunez getting DFA'd, Stewart will likely get the majority of his at bats at DH. Stewart is a tick below average tracking balls and needs to continue working on his routes, but the arm was average-ish from RF. He might be a decent DH if he can get comfortable and stop pressing, but he is not a middle of the order guy for me. Stewart is a LH bat, and we do not have many at the moment and that helps him for now. If Stewart does not produce early, he may be sent down when Diaz is ready. Someone has to go, unless there is an injury. Let me be clear, I am not high on Stewart and I do not think he is long for the organization. He has been passed, or is being passed by the end of 2021, by several more talented players. 

Mancini should not be playing OF much anymore, IMO. There is no need for that with our current OF depth. Let Trey focus on 1B/DH duties.

To me, Mountcastle looked good in the OF for a guy with little experience there. He is one of the most athletic players on the team, which I know surprised many here. The arm keeps him in LF, but I really think he will be about average there now, and eventually an above average LF. He'll back up at 1B when Trey needs a day. 

Mullins really showed he can play this year. I hope he gets on the field 3-4 times a week. He is our best CF. He takes some pressure off Hays when he pushes him to LF, which would help Hays stay healthy. 

I think we'll see one reserve INF to start the year. Mancini, Y. Sanchez, Iglesias, Ruiz and probably Valaika. The flexibility of Sanchez and Valaika would allow that. If Iglesias gets dinged up again, then it would make sense to keep two reserve INF's. Urias showed me a lot when he was up, though I could see him getting more work in AAA with Richie Martin in 2021. 

Very cogent points, however I don’t think Ruiz is going to survive till Spring. I think we’re going to deal with third base either through the rule five, or the waiver wire. Ruiz is bad and not going to get better.