Nunez DFA

VaBird1

Obviously the O's have a lot more resources and eyeballs to judge Nunez's worth.  He seems like a flash back to what the O's were trying to do in 2016-2018 with the all pop nothing else approach. I think the brass saw the limited value, tried to trade him, realized everyone else saw the limited value, so they decided to save the money.  I agree that if Davis was gone, Nunez would probably be here one more year, but we have enough 1B and DH options moving forward to cut ties. 

I saw someone suggest that we cut Sulser or Valdez, but I believe with their salaries and potential performance, they could be trade chips in 2021.  It is clear that Nunez was not a trade chip.

• Upvote 1

Really disappointed in this. For one, Chris Davis is on the roster still. You can’t tell me that this decision is motivated by finances more than performance, because if so, Nunez blows Davis out of the water. Chances are that we could even turn Nunez into something at the deadline but we are giving up on him, well before we’ve given up on inferior players before. 

also, while I don’t want to give up on prospects, most teams have a Rylan Bannon (utility guy with a decent bat) or Alex Wells (BOR control lefty) if not multiple of those guys.  Nunez is a proven power bat at the majors. I just don’t get it unless it’s financially motivated.....which it clearly is and that’s a true shame

Where he was DFA'd and cleared previously, he becomes a free agent.  The Orioles could offer a one year deal at a rock bottom price (1 million) and resign him while saving $$$.  Núñez is projected for a salary in the $2.1MM – $3.9MM range this offseason by MLBTR.  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/orioles-designate-renato-nunez-for-assignment.html

43 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Really disappointed in this. For one, Chris Davis is on the roster still. You can’t tell me that this decision is motivated by finances more than performance, because if so, Nunez blows Davis out of the water. Chances are that we could even turn Nunez into something at the deadline but we are giving up on him, well before we’ve given up on inferior players before. 

also, while I don’t want to give up on prospects, most teams have a Rylan Bannon (utility guy with a decent bat) or Alex Wells (BOR control lefty) if not multiple of those guys.  Nunez is a proven power bat at the majors. I just don’t get it unless it’s financially motivated.....which it clearly is and that’s a true shame

The O's have Hays, Mullins and Santander in the OF with Diaz joining the OF something this  coming season.  Mancini moving to 1B/DH and Mountcastle available for IB/DH/LF.   That is six players for 5 spots.   If the O's spend 2M on Nunez he would not have a spot and the money is guaranteed for all season.     Why spend that money and have it block Diaz from making the majors if he is ready in May?  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Really ? What about Santander?

From @NCRaven “By mid-season, Santander, Hays, and Diaz in the OF, Mountcastle at 1B, and Mancini DH (or vice versa).”

In my first comment I did neglect Santander, Which is like the father with five kids forgetting that he actually has a sixth. And as one of five sons, I can tell you for sure that really does happen.

I neglected him in my first comment, butRaven had the best alignment. The only problem is that you have the question of what to do with Mullins and Stewart.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They dumped him to keep Chris Davis, basically.

That's how I think of it, not that they dumped him to make room for the young guys.

If you didn’t have Chris Davis, you would still have a surplus of guys who do the same thing that Nunez does, who do more than Nunez does and do it either better or cheaper or both.

Without Nunez, we still have a crunch, but the roster becomes clearer and more versatile.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Future potential like Wynns and Susler?

Wynns is only here till we need his spot. Sulser probably is on the same track. But both are more valuable to the Os than Nunez. It’s also possible that by cutting Nunez now, They are giving him more opportunity to catch on with another team now, or perhaps to sign in one of the foreign leagues.

I wonder if we will try and pick up Mike Zunino. He can’t hit a lick, but he’s a terrific defender.

Edited by Philip

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wynns is only here till we need his spot. Sulser probably is on the same track. But both are more valuable to the Os than Nunez. It’s also possible that by cutting Nunez now, They are giving him more opportunity to catch on with another team now, or perhaps to sign in one of the foreign leagues.

I wonder if we will try and pick up Mike Zunino. He can’t hit a lick, but he’s a terrific defender.

They are trying to work out a trade for Nunez. Wynns could be outrighted to AAA. Not sure about Sulser, if he has been outrighted before, anywhere.

Wynns might depend on what the team does with Severino. 

20 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Trade to Colorado makes sense. All depends on the price tag. 

I wanted them to trade Trumbo to Colorado, he would’ve hit 100 home runs there, and they would’ve stuck him at first base because they’re not idiots.