ALL TEAMS TOP 30 PLAYERS NOT PROTECTED FOR THE RULE 5

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I WOULD BE KEYING ON SS, 2B, AND 3B IF I MADE A PICK AS THE ORIOLES GM.

PLAYERS I FIND INTERESTING LOOK LIKE THEY COULD BE READY AND LESS LIKE A PROJECT.

I LIKE THE PIRATES KEVIN KRAMER HE WAS A .280ISH HITTER / .350 OBP/ .460 SLG.

SS OSWALDO PERAZA THE YANKEES #4  HE'S 20 BUT GRADE 60S IN RUN, ARM, FIELD & 45 POWER AND 55 HIT.  BUT HASN'T PLAYED ABOVE A BALL. THIS CONTRADICTS MY PREVIOUS POINT BUT I BELIEVE I WOULD FIND A WAY TO CARRY HIM AS A UTILITY PLAYER TO SWIPE HIM FROM THE YANKEES. HE HAS A CAREER .350 OBP AND .267 AVG.

ROCKIES COLTON WELKER (3B) LOOKS LIKE A POSSIBILITY AT 3B  (60 ARM, 55 FIELD, 50 HIT , 50 POWER)

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020

Peraza appears to be on Yanks' 40-man

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

ROCKIES COLTON WELKER (3B) LOOKS LIKE A POSSIBILITY AT 3B  (60 ARM, 55 FIELD, 50 HIT , 50 POWER)

Colorado put him on the 40 - he's perhaps Arenado's heir apparent assuming Nolan peaces out.

Welker and Nevin were Hartford's 2019 corners and I think I heard the Yard Goats play-by-play guy hint Nevin may have gotten some 3B reps except for the better prospect there.  I'll be curious to see Renato-style how the club comes at Nevin's "3B" usage next year.

• Thanks 1

Riley Pint is a guy to look at.  He was one of the best arms in the drafts a few years back and was selected 4th overall. His fastball is ++ pitch and a guy you could stash in the bullpen.  I would expect him to go in this draft and maybe before we get a chance.  The other high upside guy I see is Wander Javier.  He was one of top international signing guys at the time.  He has been often injured though in minors but the tools are there.  

18 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Riley Pint is a guy to look at.  He was one of the best arms in the drafts a few years back and was selected 4th overall. His fastball is ++ pitch and a guy you could stash in the bullpen.  I would expect him to go in this draft and maybe before we get a chance.  The other high upside guy I see is Wander Javier.  He was one of top international signing guys at the time.  He has been often injured though in minors but the tools are there.  

Wander has collapsed. He’s been so bad he didn’t get protected. Hard pass. I don’t think Kramer hits well enough to be considered, and his defense isn’t anything. I was interested because we share a name, but no. 
The unprotected ranked prospects offer pretty slim pickin’s, so we will choose someone not on the surface radar.

If I was just listing them in order for who could be top 5 taken now not necessarily all fits for us. There are few other guys that have more upside but are too far down the minors to really consider IMO.

1. Riley Pint.  Rhp The stuff is about as high as your ever going to find in the rule 5 draft.  Fastball curve is back end of bullpen type stuff.  Now where it is going half the time is a different story but you won’t find higher upside in this draft.

2. Wander Javier SS again tools are there but consistent playing time has kept him back missing a bunch of time.  If he can stay healthy and get in reps could be guy that is your SS of future.  I could see Richie Martin type strategy get him through next season as backup middle infielder then send to AA or AAA next year. He is just 21 years old so you have time in minors after if you can get him through this season.

3. Kevin Kramer. utility He is a bit more ready and could probably hold his own as utility type player this year. He is already 27 so he is more what you see will be what you get type guy and not high upside guy.  I don’t see him as a guy that fits in what I would be looking at as terms of rule draft but he still guy I could see getting claimed in it.

4. Jose Soriano rhp another high upside guy with + fastball.  He has been a starter but could be used in pen and try to hide him some, then see what you have in 2-3 years.

5. Brewer Hinklin of He us a former 2 sport player out of college with football and baseball.  He has tools to play corner outfield and can play CF in a pinch but arm is below average. He has good speed and stolen quite a few bases in minors and  decent power but pretty raw and a position we are pretty deep in. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Colorado put him on the 40 - he's perhaps Arenado's heir apparent assuming Nolan peaces out.

Welker and Nevin were Hartford's 2019 corners and I think I heard the Yard Goats play-by-play guy hint Nevin may have gotten some 3B reps except for the better prospect there.  I'll be curious to see Renato-style how the club comes at Nevin's "3B" usage next year.

Nice catch ....wow 

Did the writer edit the article or did I really make 2 errors in 1 OP? It’s probably me ?

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wander has collapsed. He’s been so bad he didn’t get protected. Hard pass. I don’t think Kramer hits well enough to be considered, and his defense isn’t anything. I was interested because we share a name, but no. 
The unprotected ranked prospects offer pretty slim pickin’s, so we will choose someone not on the surface radar.

Wander has fallen more because of health not because the tools are not there.  It is hard to play well when you can’t stay on the field.  He has had just 457 at bats over the last three years.  He missed all of 2018 and first 2 months in 2019.  You can’t expect a guy missing 18 months of baseball to be playing well coming back.  He is a guy that really is hurt by no minor league ball in 2020 too because he would have had his first real off season then spring ball.  So you factor in 2020 he has had just 300 at bats in 3 year span. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Wander has fallen more because of health not because the tools are not there.  It is hard to play well when you can’t stay on the field.  He has had just 457 at bats over the last three years.  He missed all of 2018 and first 2 months in 2019.  You can’t expect a guy missing 18 months of baseball to be playing well coming back.  He is a guy that really is hurt by no minor league ball in 2020 too because he would have had his first real off season then spring ball.  So you factor in 2020 he has had just 300 at bats in 3 year span. 

That’s fine and true, but the Rays are the best in the biz at developing talent. If they’ve given up on him, it’s fair to think they exhausted all the possibilities first. I think Grenier might not pan out, and Hall is still a couple years off, so if the Os think they see something worthwhile,  Wander certainly has some appeal.

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s fine and true, but the Rays are the best in the biz at developing talent. If they’ve given up on him, it’s fair to think they exhausted all the possibilities first. I think Grenier might not pan out, and Hall is still a couple years off, so if the Os think they see something worthwhile,  Wander certainly has some appeal.

Different Wander. This one is with the Twins. I seriously doubt this one is taken by the Orioles. Way too far away, but certainly has tools.