Chris Shaw claimed from Giants

weams

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Melewski went for the Fever Pitch allusion, but after the local kid opening eyes in the Cape part of the bio, I'm not sure I can be convinced he hasn't lived out Freddie Prinze Jr's Summer Catch arc.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Melewski went for the Fever Pitch allusion, but after the local kid opening eyes in the Cape part of the bio, I'm not sure I can be convinced he hasn't lived out Freddie Prinze Jr's Summer Catch arc.

Was that movie about baseball?  I thought it was about winning the girl.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, ScGO's said:

They are going to DFA Shaw and try to pass him through waivers so he can be our AAA 1B.  We have very little 1B depth in the minors.  OF is a little thin in AAA as well, so if he passes through unclaimed, its a great move by Elias.  Its insurance for Mancini as well. 

Good prediction.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I still think if Shaw makes it through waivers that Nevin will get most of the at bats a 1B in Norfolk.   Shaw is more a DH/LF.x

Is it clear Nevin starts 2021 in AAA?    His .744 in AA wasn’t overwhelming.  I could see that going either way.   

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is it clear Nevin starts 2021 in AAA?    His .744 in AA wasn’t overwhelming.  I could see that going either way.   

You have a point there.   He did have a 345 OBP in AA.   He looks like a candidate for analytics to chance his swing to get more power.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

This year's placements are probably going to be very strange due to the lost year. I agree though that Nevin's assignment could go either way and also could be affected by playing time and spring performance.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree. Mike Elias did say at the time of Nevin’s acquisition that he would likely be the 1B man at Norfolk in 2021. Personally, I would like to see him get stronger and get another crack at 3B.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree. Mike Elias did say at the time of Nevin’s acquisition that he would likely be the 1B man at Norfolk in 2021. Personally, I would like to see him get stronger and get another crack at 3B.

How does strength make you better at 3B? from what I heard, he's very stiff and doesn't have an accurate arm to be a 3B at the major league level.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How does strength make you better at 3B? from what I heard, he's very stiff and doesn't have an accurate arm to be a 3B at the major league level.

In the small amount of video I saw, he just looked to not be athletic. Slender upper body, as though he does not do much conditioning. I know Elias is big on that. I want to see the strength, along with more core and leg strength, to hit the ball with more authority. I did not say strength would improve his defense, although core and leg strength would. As far as the stiffness, perhaps some much better stretching would help.