What are your expectations for Santander and Hays in 2021?

Frobby

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll ask Drungo to weigh in on this whenever he gets around to reading this.   

Btw, in the scenario I said, his BABiP would go to 282.  That is giving him 1 homer amongst those 8 hits.  If you gave him 2 homers, the BABiP would have been 276.  Realistically, you wouldn’t give him more than 2 homers in that scenario.

30+ point increase in just 8 at bats.  That screams SSS to me.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..hilarious that you would call anyone delusional.  That word will be on your tombstone.

And what I said isn’t made up.  It’s true.  

No its not.   900 OPS is a prediction by me.    If Santander  actually goes out and puts up a 850 OPS over a whole season, then how can I be disappointed with that kind of improvement.   Its a prediction vs the actually fact.  Your argue about me being disppointed is faults.     Its made up in your head.   Has no basis in reality.    And its offensive to try to put word in my mouth then act like I said it.

An awful lot of name calling in a thread literally titled "What are your expectations...."

I think it has been good discussion though.  Santander esp, has shown some real improvement and IF he can stay healthy could truly be an all star.  But I think the extremes are less likely and Frobby's numbers are probably good numbers to expect.  Could he continue to improve?  Sure.  I'd be happy with 150 games of Frobby's numbers and wildly pleased with Jammer7 or Wildcards expectations.  And no, I would not be surprised if Sports Guy is ultimately correct.  It's all on the spectrum of possibilities...

I will hope for the best.   I think Santander is worth keeping to find out.

I am personally more reserved regarding Hays.  I really like watching him play, but feel like he is like watching a nascar driver on ice...its exciting, and the ultimate outcome is kinda spectacular but...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No its not.   900 OPS is a prediction by me.    If Santander  actually goes out and puts up a 850 OPS over a whole season, then how can I be disappointed with that kind of improvement.   Its a prediction vs the actually fact.  Your argue about me being disppointed is faults.     Its made up in your head.   Has not basis in reality.    And its offensive.

No, you aren’t really predicting that.

You are saying a 900 OPs is his probable outcome.  That is the literal definition of the word should.

I think anyone who sets a probable expectation for something and that expectation falls well short, that you would be disappointed in that outcome.  I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think or assume that.

Now, maybe this is just semantics and your use of the word should isn’t being used as the actual definition of the word.  

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see Hays as ever being able to be much more than a 325 OBP guy.  He just doesn’t have a great approach.  I like him and do feel he can be what Adam Jones typically was but hard for me to think he will be much more than that.

My golly, who wouldn’t love to have another AJ? I’d be thrilled if Hays,”wasn’t much more than that”

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

My golly, who wouldn’t love to have another AJ? I’d be thrilled if Hays,”wasn’t much more than that”

Sure..I think Hays is a better CFer than Jones and if he can be an 780-820 OPS guy out there, that’s great.

But Jammer has him at 840.  That’s kind of what I’m referring to when I say “not much more than that”.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, you aren’t really predicting that.

You are saying a 900 OPs is his probable outcome.  That is the literal definition of the word should.

I think anyone who sets a probable expectation for something and that expectation falls well short, that you would be disappointed in that outcome.  I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think or assume that.

Now, maybe this is just semantics and your use of the word should isn’t being used as the actual definition of the word.  

should
/SHo͝od,SHəd/
verb

used to indicate what is probable.

That is how I was using the word should.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is how I was using the word should.

Right..which is what I said.

You are saying a 900 OPS is his probable outcome.  So, taking that to the next step, that would tell me you are disappointed with an 800-850 OPS because that means he falls well short of what you feel is probable.  

I may be incorrect, but I think having a good eye Is the most valuable part of the hitters repertoire, especially when combined with power. That forces the opposition to give you pitches in the zone, because he knows that if he throws out of the zone, you’re just gonna lay off the pitch.

Santander has a ~7% BB rate. I don’t know league average, but 7% is not great I don’t think. However, he ALSO has a ~15% K rate, which pretty good(Again, I don’t know league average, but I would imagine that 15% is quite good.)  That indicates that he’s making a lot of contact. I don’t know what his hard-hit rate is, and I think that’s probably important, but I think it’s pretty clear that he is improving and he’s growing and I can’t see any obvious impediments to him reaching some of the lofty goals that have been suggested for him. A good eye means he’s not being fooled, but a low BB rate means that pitchers are still throwing in the zone. As the pitching gets smarter, I do not know how they will react to him, but I don’t think he’s going to be an easier out as time goes on