Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

VaBird1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, Sports Guy said:

Rays are looking for cheap C help.  Maybe a match here?

They do want to cut costs though.  But maybe if we took back Tsutsugo (to play third) and sent them Severino, we could net a decent prospect as well?  The net gain in terms of dollars will be 5.2M.(if a full season is played)

They have a very good farm system, so adding anyone that could be in the top 10 or just outside their top 10 would probably make it worth it.

Thinking about this, expanding this to try and get Snell Would be great.

You don’t usually see those types of moves within the division but I would look into it.  Snell represents something we don’t have and he is signed cheaply for the next 3 years.

Perhaps by taking Tsutsugo, you can get Snell for a little less.  I would make DL Hall the centerpiece to the deal.  Hall and Severino going to the Rays..Orioles send back a few more players.  Those guys could come from the ML (a cost controlled, cheaper player(s)) and/or prospects we would have in the 8-15 range or so.

Or, perhaps we don’t need to include really anyone else if we take on the Tsutsugo deal.  Or maybe Hall wouldn’t need to be included and we could work without him or any of the other top guys included.

I think a lot of possibilities exist there and I feel the Os should be open to many of them.  It’s apparent the team isn’t going to spend high picks on pitching (which I’m good with).  So, to nab that TOR type guy, we may have to trade for it.  Snell is an excellent target for many reasons.

The catcher market may be one we are in.   The post-McCann report was the Angels were the ones saying "Awww", and now there's a Kurt Suzuki report for them.

So at least the Angels, Rays and Phillies/Mets Realmuto loser will have Zunino, Suzuki, Castro, etc. to sift.

Warts and all, Severino and Sisco might be among the best 20-35 near 1st string catching options (pretty much everything beyond the Top 5 or so is some kind of 66/33 job share.

It wouldn't shock me if by the end of the offseason Severino (more likely) became an Iglesias bookend.  And its entertaining the Angels in that mix again - while waiting out '21, Bundy, Iglesias and maybe a catcher too being bit parts of the Trout Supporting Cast trying to get him to October is a reasonable backup plan (though even Career Year Bundy didn't get them far in '20)

On 12/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, Sports Guy said:

Because he has 525 Ml at bats spanning 4 seasons.  Because he has a high walk rate and is coming off his best season OpS wise.  Because he is still relatively young and your other alternatives don’t have his offensive upside.  He absolutely should be getting a majority of the at bats right now.

He may end up nothing..it’s likely that he will but giving him space at bats is poor for his development.  

If the attitude is, we don’t care about winning, why would you not give him at bats?  

I agree! We know what Severino is and it is not good. Time to find out what Sisco is. Give him 5 starts a week and see what happens.