Should the Os look into Kris Bryant?

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We'd still be paying $18M in 2021 for no reason

Well that’s not true at all.

If he has a really good first half of the season, you could trade him for more than you are giving up.  

Also, you could offer him a QO after the year and end up with a pick.

You also may fell in love with the player (and vice versa) and he ends up signing here long term.  

He could also help out the young pitching.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well that’s not true at all.

If he has a really good first half of the season, you could trade him for more than you are giving up.  

Also, you could offer him a QO after the year and end up with a pick.

You also may fell in love with the player (and vice versa) and he ends up signing here long term.  

He could also help out the young pitching.

We MIGHT get more than we gave up IF he has a "really good" first half.  In that case, we'd pay at least $9 million for a potential improvement prospect swap.

Or, we could pay $18M for a pick we get in exchange for him not taking the QO

Or, we could be stuck with him in 2022 (for whatever the QO is) - potentially blocking prospects

Are we looking for a long term deal for a 3B?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

We MIGHT get more than we gave up IF he has a "really good" first half.  In that case, we'd pay at least $9 million for a potential improvement prospect swap.

Or, we could pay $18M for a pick we get in exchange for him not taking the QO

Or, we could be stuck with him in 2022 (for whatever the QO is) - potentially blocking prospects

Are we looking for a long term deal for a 3B?

Yes, it’s a gamble..as are all player acquisitions.  However, you stated there is no reason to pick him up.  That’s false.  There are plenty of reasons.  

Not definite any of them pan out though.

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Sure. Just no good ones.

Well, that’s the discussion.  Is the juice worth the squeeze so to speak.  

Clearly, it would be better to have him have a big first half and then trade him for more than we give up.  That’s obvious and it’s very possible that could happen. 

It certainly could also backfire.

I don’t think spending the money matters because they won’t do anything else with it .

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think spending the money matters because they won’t do anything else with it .

I'd prefer to wait until 2022 to spend it, after a full major and minor league season (hopefully) to see where the holes are that need to be filled by free agent signings.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I'd be glad to trade Cobb for him.

I thought about this as well.

They could use another starter and they would save money in this deal but the question is how much, based on how the contract is structured for 2021 and if his NTC features the Cubs.

I would suspect for just a few million in savings, they wouldn’t consider it.  But if they are saving 7-10M?  Perhaps they would.

I would guess we would still have to include a lower level prospect or 2 but it’s still possible.

Just as it’s possible that if we took on his whole salary that maybe we could get a decent prospect or 2 included in the package.

Lots of possibilities I think and I believe it’s worth exploring but it’s not a slam dunk that you make a deal.  I think it is a slam dunk that you explore it and see if you could get him on the cheap though.

They just let Almora go, maybe they would have interest in Mullins as a back up OFer?