Orioles make sense for Schwarber....but does it make sense for the Orioles?

Roll Tide

We don’t know what Stewart really is yet. He needs to have consistent at bats to show it, either way. I am not a fan of Stewart’s overall game, he is going to have to show me. But I think he has earned the opportunity, at least until Yusniel Diaz comes up. 

If we did not have Chris Davis eating a roster spot, maybe then Schwarber makes sense on a one year deal. Personally, I would rather have people than actually have defensive value on the roster, though.

36 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

In order to fit for the Orioles in 2021, two of the following three questions need to be answered with a "yes"

1. Is he cheap?

2. Is he an infielder (namely SS or 3B)?

3. Can he pitch?

This is really well said.  So simple, yet so accurate.

Only correction I would make is “is he REALLY cheap”?  :)  

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He can catch, in the same way Floyd Rayford could catch.  So if both Severino and Sisco test positive for COVID 20 minutes before the game you can still play.  I guess that's something.

If the Orioles were ready to compete for the playoffs and they needed a 1B/DH type  then Schwarber might make sense. 

47 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Obviously with the dogpile you'd sign up in blood for Kjerstad to have Schwarber's run, but he makes an interesting player comp.

I’d only sign up for Schwarber’s run if the WS ring comes with it.   Individually, 5.1 rWAR is not something I’d sign in blood for.   The Cubs loved him so much they nontendered him.  

Schwarber is a case of a team falling in love with a player and holding him too long.  He has been destined for the DH role for a while now.

The Cubs should have dealt him a few years ago when he had high value.  They got very little out of him for the years he was there and they have now lost him for nothing.  

But he was a fun story, became a fan favorite and hit the ball far, so they kept him.

The Orioles needs more Hoosiers!    I do have an affinity for KS, but feel like the hype overshadows the actual hit tool - which perhaps might be why he might sign cheaper than many think.  There could be some nice upside to KS's game if he does hit - in terms of being tradeable at the deadline.  The mediocre defense is worrisome though.

IMO, Schwarber ultimately comes down to the price tag and available funds.  He could be an interesting investment to hope to flip at the deadline, but the price has to be right - so I don't think he falls to the Os.

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

The Orioles needs more Hoosiers!    I do have an affinity for KS, but feel like the hype overshadows the actual hit tool - which perhaps might be why he might sign cheaper than many think.  There could be some nice upside to KS's game if he does hit - in terms of being tradeable at the deadline.  The mediocre defense is worrisome though.

IMO, Schwarber ultimately comes down to the price tag and available funds.  He could be an interesting investment to hope to flip at the deadline, but the price has to be right - so I don't think he falls to the Os.

Calling it mediocre is being generous.