SANTANDER is a super two

weams

7 hours ago, Philip said:

So instead of three minimum years and three arbitration years, it’s only 2 minimum years and four arbitration years?

Yes.  To qualify as a super 2, you need to be in the majors for a certain amount of service days in your first season.  The number is usually in the 115-120 days range iirc. (Or some combo in your first 2 years because obviously you could get sent down in year 2 and make that time up) However, it’s not set in stone and changes year to year.  

But, by becoming a super 2, your salary can really jump quickly.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Keep in mind, though, that Santander is more like two and change (getting closer to three) at the minimum spread over four years, which is the logic behind Super 2

Should be noted that out of his 2.162 years of service he’s only played in 168 major league games.    A lot of bench time/DL time in there, plus last year’s shortened season where he got credit for a full year for playing 37 games.    He’s not the most game-experienced Super 2 ever to come down the pike.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not really.    He had more than two minimum years.   He’s only ten games short of three years of service, and that was spread over four seasons.    

I was speaking more generally of the concept of a super two guy, not Santander's specific circumstances. If a guy spends parts of several years up  and down then of course it's not as clear as two/four. But in terms of service time he is two/four so, I think I am still correct IMHO ?. Those scenarios are too numerous and I didn't think was what he was actually asking. 

17 hours ago, weams said:

So I don't understand why this is news today?

I've been maintaining the 40 man roster and keeping it updated on the first page of the offseason moves sticky thread at the top of the board, for almost two months now.

And when I started that roster in October i went out and found out what Orioles were eligible for arbitration based on mlbtraderumor's list, and put Santander on that list.   So that would indicate that it was known back in October he would be eligible for arbitration this year.   And certainly it had to be known before the non-tender date so the team would have information to make the decision whether to tender or not.

So what exactly is Roch reporting yesterday?

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I've been maintaining the 40 man roster and keeping it updated on the first page of the offseason moves sticky thread at the top of the board, for almost two months now.

And when I started that roster in October i went out and found out what Orioles were eligible for arbitration based on mlbtraderumor's list, and put Santander on that list.   So that would indicate that it was known back in October he would be eligible for arbitration this year.   And certainly it had to be known before the non-tender date so the team would have information to make the decision whether to tender or not.

Good question.   The official cutoff is usually announced in early November.    

52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Slow news day?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Probably nothing. Thanks for all you do. 

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let me ask you, who among the current Orioles are a piece you build around? Just trying to understand the type of player you think will be around?

Mountcastle, Rutschman, Hays...players that project to be successful in the majors and all coming up around the same time.  Santander had a nice year last year but very easily could be an outlier and if he does it again then maybe it’s someone you consider keeping long term but at the same time if he does keep performing well then by the time the team is competitive again he will not only be getting expensive, there will hopefully be a plethora of players just coming into their own at the same positions. 

And I’m not dead set on wanting to see him traded or anything. I’m going off what I expect Elias to do. He has shown no reason for me to believe he won’t cash in on the value of a player during this rebuild. If Santander ends up being a good player consistently and we end up with an OF it Santander, Hays, Diaz, and Mountcastle in 2022 then I won’t be complaining.