Yankees Need Catching Depth

ScGO's

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t have concern either.  I’m even advocating to signing him to a contract soon.

I just don’t like the argument that says player X hasn’t seen pro pitching but wow, look at what Adley has done!

But you know that's not my argument. My argument is that we have three years of stats to look at with Rutschman facing high level pitching in Div I. to me that like having three years of A-ball stats to go off of so yes, I think we have more to go off of then a kid from the Dominican.

The other thing is the size thing gives me some pause. Not saying 5-10 players can't be great players, but I much rather have a projectionable body at 6-2 to 6-4 for my outfielders. 

Again, I'm not saying that Dominguez may not turn out to be a great player, I'm just saying I think his risk factor is much higher than Rutschman. For me, I'm a guy that would limit risk as much as possible with my investment into potential high impact players. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

But you know that's not my argument. My argument is that we have three years of stats to look at with Rutschman facing high level pitching in Div I. to me that like having three years of A-ball stats to go off of so yes, I think we have more to go off of then a kid from the Dominican.

The other thing is the size thing gives me some pause. Not saying 5-10 players can't be great players, but I much rather have a projectionable body at 6-2 to 6-4 for my outfielders. 

Again, I'm not saying that Dominguez may not turn out to be a great player, I'm just saying I think his risk factor is much higher than Rutschman. For me, I'm a guy that would limit risk as much as possible with my investment into potential high impact players. 

Didn’t mean to imply it was your argument..it was basically the argument of someone else.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you are saying here either.  Dominguez could still taller though.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hey, I'm not a minor league guru or anything but if high level D-1 pitching is similar to three years of A-ball stats, he hit over .400 for two of those years...there isn't anyone in A-ball doing that.  College stats are really nice and we can tell that Adley was the best player in college during his last two years, however there's still a jump between that and A-ball.

IMO, there's almost equal amounts of risk here.  We just have a little more information to reassure ourselves on in regards to AR.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey, I'm not a minor league guru or anything but if high level D-1 pitching is similar to three years of A-ball stats, he hit over .400 for two of those years...there isn't anyone in A-ball doing that.  College stats are really nice and we can tell that Adley was the best player in college during his last two years, however there's still a jump between that and A-ball.

IMO, there's almost equal amounts of risk here.  We just have a little more information to reassure ourselves on in regards to AR.

Well you are certainly allowed any opinion you like buddy, but I think there would be very little major league baseball evaluators that would agree with this statement.

Let's also remember that Rutschman signed a $8.1 million dollar bonus so they would be losing $3 million in value (Dominguez signed for $5.1 million) with this trade. Basically this would be like trading Rutschman and $3 million for Dominguez. Would you do that?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Well you are certainly allowed any opinion you like buddy, but I think there would be very little major league baseball evaluators that would agree with this statement.

Let's also remember that Rutschman signed a $8.1 million dollar bonus so they would be losing $3 million in value (Dominguez signed for $5.1 million) with this trade. Basically this would be like trading Rutschman and $3 million for Dominguez. Would you do that?

I think if you prefer Dominguez to Adley that you don’t care about that money.

15 hours ago, ScGO's said:

The Yanks just lost Robinson Chirinos to a fractured wrist. He was brought in as insurance for Sanchez as Sanchez hit .147 last season.  The other back up is Kyle Higashioka who is 31 and a career .186 hitter in 72 career games. I wonder if Elias shops Severino or Sisco to NY?

Last year the NYYs talked a lot about how much they liked Higashioka's defense. (They're probably saying the same thing this year. I just haven't seen it.) Sanchez is suspect defensively, so I'm pretty sure they'll want strong defense from their back-up, and with their lineup they can carry a weak bat at catcher. That's not Sisco or Severino. I suspect they'll go with Sanchez and Higashioka unless Sanchez continues to stink, and in that case they'll dump him (he's on a one-year, $6.4 mm contract) and trade for a veteran like d'Arnaud or Perez of the Royals, or sign a FA after the season. 

I don't know enough about Adley or Jasson to compare their value as projected major leaguers. I'm not sure anyone does, though I'm very sure there are those who think they do. But I do know this: a general manager/team that makes that trade is taking a big risk that the guy they traded becomes a huge star and they guy they got back is a marginal big leaguer. Cashman and the Yankees can afford to take that risk and move on. Elias and the Orioles, not so much.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think if you prefer Dominguez to Adley that you don’t care about that money.

i don't think anyone is in baseball outside of the Yankees or Dodgers thinks that way though. Money is always part of any deal whether it's contracts involved or bonuses already given out. 

Basically to trade Rutschman for him, he would need to convince ownership that Dominguez was worth $8.1 million. I'm not sure anyone thinks that about Dominguez or he would have gotten even more money. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

i don't think anyone is in baseball outside of the Yankees or Dodgers thinks that way though. Money is always part of any deal whether it's contracts involved or bonuses already given out. 

Basically to trade Rutschman for him, he would need to convince ownership that Dominguez was worth $8.1 million. I'm not sure anyone thinks that about Dominguez or he would have gotten even more money. 

Would he have though?  I bet he gets way more than that if you don’t have it capped.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Last year the NYYs talked a lot about how much they liked Higashioka's defense. (They're probably saying the same thing this year. I just haven't seen it.) Sanchez is suspect defensively, so I'm pretty sure they'll want strong defense from their back-up, and with their lineup they can carry a weak bat at catcher. That's not Sisco or Severino. I suspect they'll go with Sanchez and Higashioka unless Sanchez continues to stink, and in that case they'll dump him (he's on a one-year, $6.4 mm contract) and trade for a veteran like d'Arnaud or Perez of the Royals, or sign a FA after the season. 

I don't know enough about Adley or Jasson to compare their value as projected major leaguers. I'm not sure anyone does, though I'm very sure there are those who think they do. But I do know this: a general manager/team that makes that trade is taking a big risk that the guy they traded becomes a huge star and they guy they got back is a marginal big leaguer. Cashman and the Yankees can afford to take that risk and move on. Elias and the Orioles, not so much.

Good point on both.

I agree that it's doubtful the Yankees would want Severino, but I do see Sisco as a guy they might want to try because of the upside of his bat in that park. Whether they are willing to live with his well below average defense is the real question. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

IMO, you're talking about someone you drafted 1 overall and comping that player to someone you spent your entire international budget on.  It's taking two separate methods of acquiring future talent and going all in on them in both cases.  In Adley's case you went all in on the consensus #1 pick.  In Dominguez's case they blew their wad on one player and didn't allow themselves to take anyone else.  Both players haven't faced high level minor league pitching at AA or higher.  No one can dispute that last fact.

To me, that's essentially a stalemate.  We can argue about which is the better way to accumulate talent, draft vs. international spending but that's a pretty dumb conversation to have.  I think anyone in an MLB front office would tell you they're both very important.  We can (and have) talked about position preference.  In regards to the extra 3 million, you're paying 3 million extra for a position that's susceptible to extreme wear and tear.  You can drive your Ferrari to work each day, park it outside on the street and let birds crap on it.  I'd take my Lambo on a nice Sunday drive once or twice a month in nice weather and store it in a garage.  

And I agree with SG once again, if you really like Dominguez that much, the 3 million isn't a deal breaker.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Would he have though?  I bet he gets way more than that if you don’t have it capped.

Why did he not command the entire Yankees cap then? If he really was worth $8.1 million, then I think he would have commanded all of the someone's cap and maybe over. Basically you are saying that you think Dominguez would have been the first overall selection on the draft in 2019.  

He was given the amount of bonus that put him around #8 overall. That seems to be right for an high risk, high upside 18-year old 5-foot-10 outfielder with above average, but not top of the scale tool grades.

I do think the Bonus pool money teams can spend probably does hurt the players' value a bit now. It's probably why they should be made available in the normal amateur draft and get away from all this BS underhand deals with buscones stuff. 

At the very least, maybe they should have a similar draft. But that's for another discussion.

As for Andujar, I do think that he is someone the Orioles should target if they could find a way to pry him away from the Yankees.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, there's almost equal amounts of risk here

Yeah, I think I've seen just about everything on here now. The kid is 18 years old and hasn't played a meaningful game. How can this be a serious take?  The chances of the number 2 ranked prospect in baseball having a better MLB career than highest bonus international amateur is extremely high. Let's go back to 2014 when the Yankees landed the highest bonus/highest ranked int'l prospect. Dermis Garcia...ever heard of him? Imagine if they had an offer for him that included Carlos Correa or Kris Bryant and turned it down. 

Even if Adley was a DH/1B for most of his career there's at the very least a 50/50 shot he's much better major leaguer than Dominguez. If he's the best defensive catcher in baseball which many believe he will be, based simply on baseball history, the chances that Dominguez would provide the Os more value is astronomically low. 

• Upvote 1