O's Starters after four rounds

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've heard concerns over Akin. He came into the camp apparently heavier than usual and his command has not been there. He could end up in the bullpen if the Orioles decide to use LeBlanc there for a bit until he gets in better condition.

I'd like to see Akin get stretched out at the alternate site.    Can't have too many starters.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'd like to see Akin get stretched out at the alternate site.    Can't have too many starters.

It will be interesting to see what they do with him. The fact he only pitched two innings in an intra squad games makes me scratch my chin. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I've heard concerns over Akin. He came into the camp apparently heavier than usual and his command has not been there. He could end up in the bullpen if the Orioles decide to use LeBlanc there for a bit until he gets in better condition.

Akin is always a little tubby, but you cannot be David Wells and Sid Fernandez, or even Sidney Ponson,  these days. It is a year-round job now. I figure he’ll be a pen guy at some point, but I was hoping he would be able to start this year until Lowther and Baumann are ready. Akin’s breaking ball is too inconsistent and he telegraphs the change up mostly. He has flashes, but maybe the answer isn’t more Chris Holt until he gets more Jenny Craig. Jokes aside, perhaps he has been working in things and getting his innings in on the back fields. IDK. 

Seems like Means, Kremer, Harvey for sure. After that, I want Zimm to be there, but Hyde pretty much said he’ll start in the pen for length.

Lopez had been good, but he had some minor leaguers slap him around the other night after an error. I do not think he deals well with adversity, kinda soft.

LeBlanc is what he is, and he probably makes it at this point. Not that I want him to, but I think that he will be decent for a month or two until some others get themselves squared away. 

Felix should be headed to the Alternate Site for now, still on a minor league deal. His arm action concerned me before the injury, so not surprised he had an elbow issue. We’ll see how long it takes for him to heal and ramp back up. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I want Zimm to be there, but Hyde pretty much said he’ll start in the pen for length.

I don't recall Hyde saying anything about Zimmerman as a reliever.  He's said that he looks like a starter.  Not saying he won't start in the pen, but that's not what Hyde said unless I've missed something.  Would love to see your quote on that.

17 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I don't recall Hyde saying anything about Zimmerman as a reliever.  He's said that he looks like a starter.  Not saying he won't start in the pen, but that's not what Hyde said unless I've missed something.  Would love to see your quote on that.

It was a several days ago in a zoom call. He was asked about Zimm and his role. He immediately compared him to Means and his role as a rookie in 2019. He recounted how Means began as a length option and became a starter fairly quickly. I will see if I can find it and post a link. 

18 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Here is one link, and I think there is another where he says the same things. Around the 6:25 mark. Not as definitive as I remembered. And he spoke about Zimm getting 5 “ups” in a B game. Listening to his comments again, Hyde seems hesitant to start him right away, but I don’t think he rules him out completely. 

• Upvote 1