Eric Longenhagen On the Verge Podcast

Jammer7

12 hours ago, interloper said:

I keep waiting for Nevin to do anything fun in ST, but the guy just keeps hitting weak grounders. He certainly looks like he can mash a baseball. Maybe needs some swing work? 

Longenhagen talked about Nevin. He had some comments about the Rockies being “a weird organization” and telling Nevin to not pull the ball, and to use the entire field. Said he was told the Orioles want to see him get to the pull side power more. 

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Using the whole field as a hitter doesn't seem weird on the surface, especially in Coors field.

Yeah, I agree. I think Longenhagen was referring to the fact that they discouraged pulling the ball at all. At least, that was what he said, IIRC. Generally, I would want someone who plays a power position, such as 3B/1B/LF, to be able to get to his pull side power. Not all players have much opposite field power, even at Coors. 

When I coach kids, I teach a gap to gap approach in general. But I do encourage them to go out and get the pitch middle-in to do damage. You want to be able to attack that pitch, especially if you’re ahead in a fastball count.