Mother's Day vs the Red Sox- what could go wrong?

SteveA

31 minutes ago, Natty said:

Our clean up hitter, DJ, is batting  .189, any questions? 

The problem, IMO, isn't that Stewart is batting fourth. We could put Seve or Galvis in the clean-up slot, and maybe that would make you feel better. But it shouldn't. The problem isn't the lineup construction. It's that this lineup has so many holes in it -- guys who have never hit much at the ML level or (like Stewart and, I fear, Mullins) have had only brief success and lots of failure batting against ML pitching, and who look to the untrained eye (mine) like they have little idea what they're doing at the plate and no plan other than to swing hard and try to pull anything that's near the plate. Severino's recent popup to SS, with an 85-foot hole open on the right side, is a good example. Plenty of launch angle, but it didn't help much.

I think it makes sense to keep giving Stewart (300 ML plate appearances) at bats, especially with Santander to return, Mountcastle getting some in LF, and Diaz coming up sometime. The guy I'd like to see less of -- or not see at all -- is Ruiz. While I've been impressed, even amazed, by his play at 2B, it's clear that he's not part of the team's future. 898 PA's with an OPS of .658 is enough. Time to try something else. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well I’ve been working, and I show up and I was expecting unspeakable horror, but to my surprise Lopez is doing his typical “good for the first four innings” stuff.

However, it is now the fifth inning, and is Mr. Hyde Going to learn from his mistakes or repeat them. We shall find out anon

Lopez isn't pitching.

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

The problem, IMO, isn't that Stewart is batting fourth. We could put Seve or Galvis in the clean-up slot, and maybe that would make you feel better. But it shouldn't. The problem isn't the lineup construction. It's that this lineup has so many holes in it -- guys who have never hit much at the ML level or (like Stewart and, I fear, Mullins) have had only brief success and lots of failure batting against ML pitching, and who look to the untrained eye (mine) like they have little idea what they're doing at the plate and no plan other than to swing hard and try to pull anything that's near the plate. Severino's recent popup to SS, with an 85-foot hole open on the right side, is a good example. Plenty of launch angle, but it didn't help much.

I think it makes sense to keep giving Stewart (300 ML plate appearances) at bats, especially with Santander to return, Mountcastle getting some in LF, and Diaz coming up sometime. The guy I'd like to see less of -- or not see at all -- is Ruiz. While I've been impressed, even amazed, by his play at 2B, it's clear that he's not part of the team's future. 898 PA's with an OPS of .658 is enough. Time to try something else. 

Thanks for the detailed report. But why is DJ batting 4th? 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Thanks for the detailed report. But why is DJ batting 4th? 

My guess is that it's because he's left-handed and once upon a time showed some power. I'm not defending it, but to me this team's lineup after 1 through 3 is pretty much the arrangement of the deck chairs on a big ship that's headed in the general direction of lots of icebergs.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

My guess is that it's because he's left-handed and once upon a time showed some power. I'm not defending it, but to me this team's lineup after 1 through 3 is pretty much the arrangement of the deck chairs on a big ship that's headed in the general direction of lots of icebergs.

Agreed.