BA's Orioles top 10 list is coming Wednesday

Frobby

Tony and you are both saying the Patton makes the top 10. Of course, you both could be right. I think it depends on how you look at shoulder injuries for pitchers. I put both Patton and Spoone in the second 10 because of the nature of their injuries and what it is likely to do to their performance.

How BA looks at it is anyone's guess.

I don't think Patton should be in anybody's top 10. His injury is a big question mark.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Patton should be in anybody's top 10. His injury is a big question mark.

Well that depends on what you are going off of. BA had Patton very high last year and the year before, so with the reports of him throwing again in the instructional league, they may very well put him back in the top ten.

I'm a little more leery because he didn't have the velocity to lose and I start thinking about Brian DuBose, another lefty who never could regain the velocity he once had after labrum surgery.

Spoone on the other hand has enough movement in his pitches that even if he loses 1-2 MPH he still should have enough to be effective. Really though, all these shoulder injuries are major question marks until we see the pitcher back on the mound and throwing competitively.

Well that depends on what you are going off of. BA had Patton very high last year and the year before, so with the reports of him throwing again in the instructional league, they may very well put him back in the top ten.

I'm a little more leery because he didn't have the velocity to lose and I start thinking about Brian DuBose, another lefty who never could regain the velocity he once had after labrum surgery.

Spoone on the other hand has enough movement in his pitches that even if he loses 1-2 MPH he still should have enough to be effective. Really though, all these shoulder injuries are major question marks until we see the pitcher back on the mound and throwing competitively.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Spoone in the top 10 because he has history here in the Orioles organization, where Patton does not. It appears though that Spoone will have the tougher time regaining what he had. Patton hasn't proved anything with the Orioles. I know he was ranked high in the Astros organization, but they aren't even ranked in the Top 20(as a organization) if I'm correct.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Spoone in the top 10 because he has history here in the Orioles organization, where Patton does not. It appears though that Spoone will have the tougher time regaining what he had. Patton hasn't proved anything with the Orioles. I know he was ranked high in the Astros organization, but they aren't even ranked in the Top 20(as a organization) if I'm correct.

Not sure why Patton needs a history in this organization to be rated in the top ten. Also, comps between the Astros and Os organizational talent are largely irrelevant since Patton was a BA Top 100 prospect - a recognition only a handful of our current prospects have received.

The injury is a big factor, but if reports are that Patton is throwing well or back close to where he was, then Patton should be in our top 10 - perhaps comfortably inside, IMO. As opposed to Britton, who appears to be a good prospect with impressive upside, but could not make his league top 20.

We could argue these guys all day. I'm glad they are both in the organization. From my amateur view, I'd give the nod to Patton, but we'll see.

After talking a bit with Will Lingo, I think our lists are going to be pretty similiar. The names will probably be the same (perhaps in a slightly different order) although I think they'll replace Britton with Patton in the top ten.

Tony, did you get an idea of how BA develops their rankings - i.e. the depth of their speaking with scouts/coaches/GMs in other organizations versus their access to our FO? Just curious.

Not sure why Patton needs a history in this organization to be rated in the top ten. Also, comps between the Astros and Os organizational talent are largely irrelevant since Patton was a BA Top 100 prospect - a recognition only a handful of our current prospects have received.

The injury is a big factor, but if reports are that Patton is throwing well or back close to where he was, then Patton should be in our top 10 - perhaps comfortably inside, IMO. As opposed to Britton, who appears to be a good prospect with impressive upside, but could not make his league top 20.

We could argue these guys all day. I'm glad they are both in the organization. From my amateur view, I'd give the nod to Patton, but we'll see.

Looks like a huge if there. It a little early to be talking about him being any where close to where he was.

The top 10 prospect is a snap shot in time taken now. If Patton improves he could be in the list next spring or summer.

BA's top 10 for the Orioles is up, and Patton in the top 10 probably isn't the biggest surprise.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2009/267135.html

Their top 10 was almost identical to mine...They had Tillman and Matusz switched and Patton and Mickolio in the top 10....Other than that, mine was identical to theirs.

Having Kam #10 is a bit of a joke to me.

I don't really argue against the Patton pick, it just depends on how you view his injury.

Interesting. Obviously Mickolio is the big surprise. I hope they are right that he's that good.

Looks like BA's opinion of Erbe was in line with the majority of OH posters who were clamoring to see him higher in the OH top 10. We'll see next year if that's justified.

Archived