Kremer sent to AAA; Hays on IL...again!

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Watching the lack of improvement by Kremer and Akin makes me more and more concerned about the Orioles current developmental staff at the high levels. Add in the inconsistencies of Zimmermann, and we have not seen any of them improve on anything. Heck, throw in Tanner Scott's bouts of wildness again and who has become better or more consistent? 

I just see a lot of failure of our young prospects at the major league level this year.

Furthermore, guys with promise haven't performed this year at AAA...see Lowther, Zimmerman's short stint there, Akin, etc.  They all statistically look bad one month into the minor league season, so I don't know what is going on.  

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think we can safely rule out Austin Hays as a cog in the O's next competitive team

Austin Hays is still only 25 years old, has less than 2 full years of MLB service time, and has posted an OPS+ of 115 since the start of 2019 (while also playing pretty solid defense), but you're absolutely right, it's clearly time to cut bait. No sense letting him take precious playing time away from total studs like Chris Shaw and Stevie Wilkerson when he's already been "safely ruled out" by such a widely revered and renowned baseball expert as @webbrick2010 after all.

9_9

21 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I am so fed up with this bunch of losers, and that includes the entire organization, top to bottom and all points in between, that I say be merciful to the 4 or 5 ligit major leaguers, and trade them for whatever they  might bring.  Then the other 80% of the roster, since by league rules the organization must field 9 players, let them finish the season and maybe by 2022 some of the prospects might be able to win a few more games than this collection of pretend major leaguers.  No use kidding ourselves.  I do  not even follow by Gameday any more, since IMO the team is irrelevant.  And if I, a fan for more than 70 years, feel this way, I can imagine how the casual fan must feel.  

slimimpartialgnat-max-1mb.gif?w=360&h=24

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was just thinking about this and which pitcher would be the best candidate to fill in as a position player. Seriously though I don't want any more player injuries. 

Yes, we only have one bench player and I guess that's Severino.  Only other option is that we can lose the DH and move Santander to the OF today and lose the DH for the rest of the game.  Pitchers have some batting practice this past weekend!

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if we'll get a pitcher playing 2B or OF in event of an injury today. 

It would take two injuries.   Even if you assume McKenna can't get to Minnesota in time, and Mountcastle is unavailable, we can handle an injury to any one position player:

Injury at C -- Severino takes over
Injury in the OF -- Santander moves from DH to the field;  pitchers have to hit
Injury in the infield -- Wilkerson moves from LH to the infield spot;  Santander moves from DH to the field;  pitchers have to hit

9 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

You know Tampa would make a winner out of this team. There’s definitely a big issue with development in this organization and it’s been a problem for a long time. 

I'm not sure I agree here, at least 100%.  

I agree that development has been a problem for awhile, but so has been drafting and scouting.  Tampa has that down, too.

8 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Furthermore, guys with promise haven't performed this year at AAA...see Lowther, Zimmerman's short stint there, Akin, etc.  They all statistically look bad one month into the minor league season, so I don't know what is going on.  

Add in the regression of Wells at AAA too.

Watching the pitching prospects get their shots and crap the bed has really been disappointing. Mountcastle's regression into a hackamatic guy who can't play LF has been depressing as well. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was just thinking about this and which pitcher would be the best candidate to fill in as a position player. Seriously though I don't want any more player injuries. 

Tanner Scott looks pretty athletic. Maybe stick him in OF? I haven't noticed any of the bullpen guys catching home run balls lately.

28 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I certainly haven't seen people here who are expressing the opposite opinion of Stewart. Perhaps you are imagining those people?

Yo ?

FWIW, I think it's probably something along the lines of 70/30 in favor of DJ never quite getting all the way there, but his plate discipline and some of his underlying metrics are incredibly tantalizing- enough to keep me in the "I want to believe" column for the time being anyway.

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yo ?

FWIW, I think it's probably something along the lines of 70/30 in favor of DJ never quite getting all the way there, but his plate discipline and some of his underlying metrics are incredibly tantalizing- enough to keep me in the "I want to believe" column for the time being anyway.

I agree.  I've never been high on DJ Stewart but quite frankly his plate discipline is one thing thats appealing, especially in comping him to a guy like Mountcastle.  And he hits homers in bunches, as we've seen.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Watching the lack of improvement by Kremer and Akin makes me more and more concerned about the Orioles current developmental staff at the high levels. Add in the inconsistencies of Zimmermann, and we have not seen any of them improve on anything. Heck, throw in Tanner Scott's bouts of wildness again and who has become better or more consistent? 

I just see a lot of failure of our young prospects at the major league level this year.

I don’t disagree with you but it also could be a function of these guys just not being that good, at least not good enough to be starters in the majors.

It’s not like any of those guys were labeled can’t miss or that they highly rated guys everyone thought were MOR guys.  

They developed Means.  The lower level pitching is developing well.  Why would the development all of a sudden be bad in the majors?  It’s the same plan being implemented.  It’s the same tech being used.  The same philosophies.

It could easily be that these guys just aren’t good.

• Upvote 1