A childhood memory about hitting. Maybe relevant

HowAboutThat

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right.  Done through small-ball.

Ha!

I just realize that you are correct! I did contradict myself. The little me wasn’t right, the little me was wrong, and the grizzled old vet Who said that a hit is a hit is a hit was right.

Anyway, it’s a valid lesson, small ball is good ball, Homeruns and strikeouts are boring if there are too many of them, and that stupid extra inning rule remains stupid

Edited by Philip
Typo

When have we ever won with small ball? I'd say let's get back to pitching, defense, and three run homers because that is what has worked and still does. If anything we have had too many guys try to bunt for hits this year (Hays, Santander). It is not as easy as it looks and wastes ABs. Sure, bunt if it fits a guy's skill set like Mullins or a guy is getting killed by the shift (Davis) but otherwise the percentages don't usually favor small ball. Better to get on base, pass the baton, and trust the guy behind you to drive you in. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

When have we ever won with small ball? I'd say let's get back to pitching, defense, and three run homers because that is what has worked and still does. If anything we have had too many guys try to bunt for hits this year (Hays, Santander). It is not as easy as it looks and wastes ABs. Sure, bunt if it fits a guy's skill set like Mullins or a guy is getting killed by the shift (Davis) but otherwise the percentages don't usually favor small ball. Better to get on base, pass the baton, and trust the guy behind you to drive you in. 

Well, I don’t think you should have a guy bunt unless he’s good at bunting, but I think there’s a lot to be said for hitting with accuracy in mind instead of power. I remember seeing radio calls where the radio guys complimented the hitter for hitting it just barely over the infielder’s head.

I’ve always wondered whether that was genuine or whether it was just a lucky dink on the part of the hitter, but the ability to do that is incredibly valuable. It requires a very good eye, to keep the pitcher in the Zone, excellent ability to make contact, and enough power to keep the pitcher honest. I realize that that’s not just like ordering a burger with your chosen fixings, but it’s worthwhile to look for that.

Edited by Philip

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Your quote selections indicate that the players themselves don’t want small ball, they don’t want bunts or grounders. they want line drives and fly balls. 
I think the game would be more interesting if we did play small ball, don’t you?

I hate the extra innings rule that’s solely to make money for the owners. I hate the 7-inning DH, too, which gives fans less than they paid for.

It looks like the players are interested in the most efficient ways to score runs.  That's not always done through small ball.

I'm not sure how the extra innings rule makes money for the owners.  

I don't hate the 7 inning doubleheader, but I'd prefer 9 innings.  Injuries are rampant in MLB this year.  https://www.theringer.com/2021/5/28/22458926/injuries-are-defining-the-2021-mlb-season

I'd argue that it's more important to keep star players on the field rather than playing 4 innings across 2 games in a doubleheader.  

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Ha!

I just realize that you are correct! I did contradict myself. The little me wasn’t right, the little me was wrong, and the grizzled old vet Who said that a hit is a hit is a hit was right.

Anyway, it’s a valid lesson, small ball is good ball, Homeruns and strikeouts are boring if there are too many of them, and that stupid extra inning rule remains stupid

I do like small ball.  I like stealing bases.  I like a slashing style of a game.

But at the same time, I really can't fault anyone for reaching for peak efficiency in their chosen profession.  If hitters have discovered that the best way to score runs is to walk, hit the ball in the air and go for homers, fine.  At the same time, I can't fault the players in the NBA for wanting to launch three pointers all the time.  

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do like small ball.  I like stealing bases.  I like a slashing style of a game.

But at the same time, I really can't fault anyone for reaching for peak efficiency in their chosen profession.  If hitters have discovered that the best way to score runs is to walk, hit the ball in the air and go for homers, fine.  At the same time, I can't fault the players in the NBA for wanting to launch three pointers all the time.  

I don’t disagree with that, but the game is suffering because there’s no action. I think a game full of homeruns and strikeouts is boring