Texas Rangers designate former AL home run champion Khris Davis for assignment

Frobby

Yes I had him on my Rotis team in 2019 and I had to keep checking if I was listed with the other "Chris Davis"  He basically dropped off at the same rate as The Orioles Davis.   His contract ran through 2021.  They waited to the bitter end just like the Orioles will.  Again as it has been pointed out with Covid this year still around and a possible lockout/strike for next year the Orioles won't let him go until they know whether or not they can save some money on this contract.  Texas knows now that this season will be played and they have to pay him the rest of Khris Davis's contract through this year.  I really don't blame the Orioles at this point.  He isn't taking up a spot on the roster or blocking anyone.  If labor matters are resolved by spring training they may give Davis at bats but I even doubt that. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’re right. But I don’t think his contract was near the albatross that the Chris David deal is. 

Not that it should matter. Dead weight is dead weight. 

Besides all the damage Covid-19 has brought to the world in the last year, it's also given incentive to the Angelos family to keep Davis on the roster. Orioles got out of paying Davis' full salary in 2020 and another work stoppage will bring about the same benefit. 

And with a potential lockout or strike in 2022, I don't see Davis getting released even though he's been done as a player for 3+ years now. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Besides all the damage Covid-19 has brought to the world in the last year, it's also given incentive to the Angelos family to keep Davis on the roster. Orioles got out of paying Davis' full salary in 2020 and another work stoppage will bring about the same benefit. 

And with a potential lockout or strike in 2022, I don't see Davis getting released even though he's been done as a player for 3+ years now. 

Yeah, you’re right. I dunno, it’s still obnoxious to think about that being the only reason why to keep him around. 

It’s just a terrible staring contest between insufferable idiots.  Which dolt will blink first? Will Davis swallow some pride and call it a day or keep half-assing attempts to become a player who  can crack 0.0 WAR? Or will the terribly run franchise with ownership that everyone loves to loathe blink instead? 

Meanwhile a dwindling fanbase wants to be put out of its misery. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’re right. But I don’t think his contract was near the albatross that the Chris David deal is. 

The A's didn't bid against themselves when negotiating with Davis.  

The only thing Chris Davis had that Khris Davis didn't was passable defense at 1st, and a slightly higher BA.   

As such, the As only wasted about 1/5 of the money on Khris Davis that the Orioles wasted on Chris ($33m vs $161m)   In fairness though, Chris Davis falling off a cliff two years prior to Khris Davis reaching FA signing probably scared teams away from signing him to a large contract.

Edited by GuidoSarducci
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Is there an insurance benefit this year as well being out for the year?  If so there is a potentially massive change in the dollars they personally hand out over 3 years. 

Still dead weight but at least it isn't costing a bench spot at this point.

• Like 1

I almost hate to write this...but the Orioles have been wise to hold onto their own Chris Davis.  Covid has brought them relief that was never coming from another source and if insurance helps at all this year, it is even smarter.

I have long been in the camp that he should be cut, and I am almost certain that this feeling is simply out of anger...because on my list the second thing I had hoped for was that he would be drawn and quartered....so there is that.  

I hope in the future, when the Orioles need to spend that do so more intelligently than they did with Davis.

13 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I almost hate to write this...but the Orioles have been wise to hold onto their own Chris Davis.  Covid has brought them relief that was never coming from another source and if insurance helps at all this year, it is even smarter.

I have long been in the camp that he should be cut, and I am almost certain that this feeling is simply out of anger...because on my list the second thing I had hoped for was that he would be drawn and quartered....so there is that.  

I hope in the future, when the Orioles need to spend that do so more intelligently than they did with Davis.

Let Elias be the final decision maker on player contracts and this situation will be avoided in the future. Everything with the Chris Davis contract points to Angelos and Buck negotiating directly with Davis and Duquette was merely an observer. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Let Elias be the final decision maker on player contracts and this situation will be avoided in the future. Everything with the Chris Davis contract points to Angelos and Buck negotiating directly with Davis and Duquette was merely an observer. 

I don't think it was Buck.  I think reports were that Boras went straight to ownership.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

No way the owner isn't involved with contracts of that magnitude.  The problem the O's had is that Angelos had a dysfunctional group and encouraged all of the back channel stuff in spite of how it undermined everything and everyone. 

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

No way the owner isn't involved with contracts of that magnitude.  The problem the O's had is that Angelos had a dysfunctional group and encouraged all of the back channel stuff in spite of how it undermined everything and everyone. 

I'm sure you have at least one owner that gives his people a budget and doesn't get involved.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The owner should be approving budget not directly negotiating with agents. I think DD wasn't interested in resigning Davis at the price his agent was asking, but Boras started direct negotiations with Angelos.

Elias doesn't seem like the type to sign a high priced veteran free agent to a $160M contract, but his hands are tied if the Angelos brothers decide to dole out that amount of money. 

Subscribe: O’s owner Peter Angelos and Chris Davis’ agent Scott Boras “continue to have dialogue”

While it has been said that the Orioles have “pulled” the $154 million, seven-year offer to slugger Chris Davis, owner Peter Angelos and Davis’ agent Scott Boras continue to have dialogue by phone and continue to debate whether that is the appropriate offer; they spoke as recently as midweek.