Knuckler Jannis Up, Sceroler DFA

Yardball85

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had guys that didn't make it out of spring training.  Sceroler bested that.

Understand this season being unique and they have to cover these innings after a 60 game season this year with as many arms as they can.  Sceroler was able to cover some of those innings.  I think that is why he lasted as long as he did.

This falls under the category of "shoulder shrug". While Jannis may be able to eat some innings, I will be surprised if he finds success at the major league level. His knuckleball doesn't miss many bats and when I've watch him, it has a pretty true downwards break each time vs that knuckleball that jumps all over the place. He'll throw his 87-89 MPH fastball to try and keep batters honest, but nothing jumps out to me that he's the next Wakefield.

Saying that, he's a knuckleballer so who knows?

As for Sceroler, he just didn't bring the upside that Wells does and his command was not good enough. I was little surprised he made the team out of spring training but thought why not? If the team is willing to keep running out Harvey as a starter, why not see what Sceroler could do. 

Sceroler is one of those high spin rate guys that doesn't haver the command to make the stuff work yet. Maybe it will improve at some point, but he just wasn't worth keeping all year and then a 40-man spot next winter.

2 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I put this on his kin Ben Macdonald. To me, this was a situation where Ben may have talked his cousin on to the team and by doing so talked Pop off the team. Never listen to Ben. He’s a meathead.

That’s pretty ridiculous.   I highly doubt the O’s chose Sceroler on Ben McDonald’s say so.   They might have asked him about Sceroler’s makeup.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Stoked about it.  If we're going to be losers, might as well entertain.  And good for Jannis, the dude gets to live out a dream.

Make sure Severino catches him.  

That’s where I am.   I love watching a knuckler when it’s working.    Will be fun to see if he can make a go of it.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I looked up his stats for this year and they’ve been pretty terrible. I’m really happy the guy gets to make his debut, he gets that healthcare with his first step out of the field, and that’s not nothing. But is he really the next guy up?

How is 2.92 ERA in 24.1 IP “pretty terrible” ?  Admittedly his K/9 isn’t too good at 4.7

58 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

How is 2.92 ERA in 24.1 IP “pretty terrible” ?  Admittedly his K/9 isn’t too good at 4.7

I don’t remember seeing that, I remember him giving up a lot of runs, a lot of hits a lot of walks and not striking out guys. I will have to go check again.

edit: Well you are correct about his ERA, I did miss that. Still, I think the question is valid, although make no mistake I’m very happy to have him up and excited about watching him play.

Edited by Philip

Looked this guys stats up and over his career he is really not good.  But lets hope we catch lightening in a bottle.

Just read his wiki page.  This guy should enjoy this cup of coffee because he somehow stuck it out enough in the minors to see this day arrive.  Good luck and God speed.  

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I looked up his stats for this year and they’ve been pretty terrible. I’m really happy the guy gets to make his debut, he gets that healthcare with his first step out of the field, and that’s not nothing. But is he really the next guy up?

Elias and company have signaled throughout the whole season that they will not bring up any decent talent. I don't mean that to put Jannis down, but this is unfortunately the type of move that I expect to see all the way through 162.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This falls under the category of "shoulder shrug". While Jannis may be able to eat some innings, I will be surprised if he finds success at the major league level. His knuckleball doesn't miss many bats and when I've watch him, it has a pretty true downwards break each time vs that knuckleball that jumps all over the place. He'll throw his 87-89 MPH fastball to try and keep batters honest, but nothing jumps out to me that he's the next Wakefield.

Saying that, he's a knuckleballer so who knows?

As for Sceroler, he just didn't bring the upside that Wells does and his command was not good enough. I was little surprised he made the team out of spring training but thought why not? If the team is willing to keep running out Harvey as a starter, why not see what Sceroler could do. 

Sceroler is one of those high spin rate guys that doesn't haver the command to make the stuff work yet. Maybe it will improve at some point, but he just wasn't worth keeping all year and then a 40-man spot next winter.

Not many will be the next Wakefield.  Will be fun to watch the guy even if he gets hammered.