Fri July 16: Kansas City here we come

SteveA

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Hyde has anything to do with his roster or who he has to start. that is all Elias and Syd. their computer programs tell them Akin was the best guy to start. It's a program that needs some more data.

Did they consider the options and decide that Akin was the best available starter tonight? Or is Akin just in the rotation to stay, until he gets hurt or quits or spontaneously combusts or is convicted of a major felony or his ERA hits 10.00 or something?

It sure looks like once a decision on this team gets made, it's not likely to be changed. Seems like they're too busy to make changes that might improve a team that's last in the league in both offense and defense.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, I just think they are too focused on spin rates sometimes. They've been in love with Akin because analytically he looks like he should have success. But, I've watched this guy throughout his whole career and the problem is he's always struggled to have his command from inning to inning. It's always taken him a lot pitches to get through innings. He was usually around 90 pitch after five pitches and that's not good in AAA.

Well, I hope that’s not the case.  I am sure that they have more data than I do, but I’ve always thought of spin-rate (at least on the fb) as less important than velocity, location, and movement.  To be successful most pitchers need at least 2 out of the 3.  And then, spin rate plays-up the pitch.  

I'm not going to make it 9 innings with the sound up.  Kevin Brown's shtick is starting to get on my nerves.

Jon Miller and Joe Angel used to make a blowout loss funny with some of the silly stuff they would talk about.  Brown just annoys me.

Or perhaps I am just older and more curmudgeonly now.  Maybe it's me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SteveA said:

I'm not going to make it 9 innings with the sound up.  Kevin Brown's shtick is starting to get on my nerves.

Jon Miller and Joe Angel used to make a blowout loss funny with some of the silly stuff they would talk about.  Brown just annoys me.

Or perhaps I am just older and more curmudgeonly now.  Maybe it's me.

I just listened on radio for last inning. Newman on the call. I’ll stop there. 

I don’t think you are the only one. I’ve said it before Brown has talent but he can be a little cute at times. Had volume down during broadcast earlier so I didn’t hear him tonight. He has skill but can be a little full of himself is what I would say.