Saturday July 17: Orioles try avoid a series loss versus the Royals

OsFanSinceThe80s

Well, I'm just getting to the game now, looks like I missed a lot of fun.   I'll check the gameday to see how we got our runs.

Too bad Jorge couldn't handle us giving him an 8-1 lead.   In 19 starts this year, this is the 5th time he's gotten more than 3 runs of support.  And he couldn't get through 5 again.

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well I just hopped on to see that we are running into a possible win today. Lopez is at 52 pitches after four innings, which is 13 per inning. He’s good for one more inning probably, but with this big a lead, No reason to see if you can’t get six innings out of him.

Haha....normally, I’d agree, but it’s Jorge Lopez!

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Severino is not just a bad catcher, he’s a bad baseball player.Severino is not just a bad catcher, he’s a bad baseball player.

Well, I really question some of the pitch calling.  The curve thrown for a wild pitch was begging to be an elevated fastball.  Then, they follow up with another curve that was luckily only hit for a sac fly b/c it was a hanger in the middle of the plate.

In the end, it’s  up to Lopez to decide what pitch to throw (and execute the pitch selected) but I wonder if the inning would have turned out differently if Wynns was behind the plate tonight.

Just now, Philip said:

Nope don’t know that book at all

I highly recommend it. About 50 years ago, two fans gathered odd baseball cards and cards of some of their favorite players and others in whom they saw some humor, with a commentary on each player.  There's an updated edition from 1991. From memory: "Hector Lopez was not merely a bad-fielding third baseman for a third baseman. Hector Lopez was not merely a bad-fielding third baseman for a baseball player. Hector Lopez was, all things considered, a bad fielding third baseman for a human being. The man was a butcher  . . ."  And so on.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Tell me about Trey's triple!   Did it involve an outfield misplay of some type?

Ball was smoked.  Right fielder had a leaping chance but it hit off the fingers of his glove.  The type of play you want your fielder to make, but not a given.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

When was the last time a starter stayed in line enough to get a win? It seems like forever.

Lopez was our last starter to go 6, and that was 18 days ago or something like that.

Heard on the broadcast on the car radio as I was driving home and he was starting the 5th.

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I highly recommend it. About 50 years ago, two fans gathered odd baseball cards and cards of some of their favorite players and others in whom they saw some humor, with a commentary on each player.  There's an updated edition from 1991. From memory: "Hector Lopez was not merely a bad-fielding third baseman for a third baseman. Hector Lopez was not merely a bad-fielding third baseman for a baseball player. Hector Lopez was, all things considered, a bad fielding third baseman for a human being. The man was a butcher  . . ."  And so on.

That sounds hilarious, I will indeed look it up. And I can return the favor, if you’d like a funny book, please go look up a book called, “seasons in hell: Whitey Herzog, Billy Martin, and the worst baseball team in history”

By Mike Shropshire. It is a retelling of the first two or three years of the Rangers existence by the beat writer for the team. It is incredibly funny, it is also incredibly crude, it is not “rated G” if you read two random pages chosen from anywhere in the book you will instantly read the entire book. It’s that funny

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

When was the last time a starter stayed in line enough to get a win? It seems like forever.

He's hit pretty well and made the plays he is supposed to make.

When Freddy comes back, I'd rather see Urias at 2b than Valaika.

Ok, Lopez finished the fourth at 52 pitches. He is usually good for about 65, And he had been reasonably efficient so far plus he had a seven run lead, so fine, let him start the fifth. He immediately ran into trouble. I was not following the game, but even if I let him start the fifth, I have somebody ready just in case, On the ground that it is almost impossible that he will start the sixth, so whoever I get up it’s going to be coming in anyway, it’s just a question of when.