Friday July 22: Nats come to town

SteveA

48 minutes ago, WillyM said:

Listening on the radio, and the announcers spent the whole third inning interviewing an Oriole draft choice instead of describing what was happening on the field.

I'm sure no one cares what I think, but when I tune in the broadcast of tonight's game, I want to hear about tonight's game.  Tonight, I have very little interest in hearing an interview in which some young fellow who might, possibly, play for the Orioles in a game three or four or five or so years from now expresses banalities about how nice it is to have been drafted.  I am interested in what the guys are doing on the field tonight.

I wish the people in charge of Oriole broadcasts saw things my way.

You are exactly right. I don’t want to hear a random interview with a random player, I want to hear a baseball game being broadcast. When they show the interview over gameplay they are basically saying that the interview is more important than the game. And if that’s the case, why bother having the game let’s just get together and have three hours of interviews every night. These people are idiots, and I’m not engaging in hyperbole, they are stupid and “a reasonable third party“ would agree

Meanwhile, regarding Franco: you got a guy who can’t hit or field, and is making ~800K.  You also got a guy who can’t hit but CAN field, and is making minimum wage, and another guy who can’t hit but CAN Field and is also making minimum wage.

Why, then, is the sucky expensive guy playing?

Asking for a friend…

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Coming in today, Lopez's ERAs in the 4th and 5th innings: 3.00 and 17.47--yes, that's a seventeen! I think Hyde had the stats to use the hook, especially with Soto coming up.

The problem is that Hyde knows this but leaves him in too long, almost every single time. One of the biggest of many knocks on Hyde.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meanwhile, regarding Franco: you got a guy who can’t hit or field, and is making ~800K.  You also got a guy who can’t hit but CAN field, and is making minimum wage, and another guy who can’t hit but CAN Field and is also making minimum wage.

Why, then, is the sucky expensive guy playing?

Asking for a friend…

Wrong way to look at it. Look at Severino. Why is he playing? He makes more than Wynns. Chris Davis played even though Mancini was a better option. Same with Franco. 

The larger investment usually gets more playing time.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Wrong way to look at it. Look at Severino. Why is he playing? He makes more than Wynns. Chris Davis played even though Mancini was a better option. Same with Franco. 

The larger investment usually gets more playing time.

Also, Franco is only 28 and has had some decent offensive seasons. No reason not to have hoped that he would deliver better at the plate this season while providing better defense than Nunez. $800k was not a big spend for someone they expected to be an everyday starter (played in all 60 games last year and made over 11 million in previous three seasons).