Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

Let’s use this thread for any potential discussion about Os trades this week.

Came across this:

This is something to watch for as potential value for Fry.

He is Owed 5M next year and then he is a FA, so Fry could have more value but this should give us a rough idea.

• Upvote 2

Hosmer is being mentioned.  I know this was brought up in another thread.

If you can get Abrams back, do you take on the 4/59 (plus this year) for him?

I would guess if you get Abrams, you will be eating most, if not all, of that contract.  

Now, you may not have to give up much of anything but you are essentially spending 60M or so to buy Abrams.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hosmer is being mentioned.  I know this was brought up in another thread.

If you can get Abrams back, do you take on the 4/59 (plus this year) for him?

I would guess if you get Abrams, you will be eating most, if not all, of that contract.  

Now, you may not have to give up much of anything but you are essentially spending 60M or so to buy Abrams.

Is this just a thought exercise or are there any legit rumors that the Padres would trade Abrams if it meant getting out from under Homer's contract?

The only concern I would have with Abrams (well besides the risk that a prospect doesn't live up to expectations) is his tibia and MCL injury an indicator that he's going to have an injury prone career. 

If medical experts don't see a reason to worry about Abrams' long term health, then that's a trade I probably make. The only problem is I'm not sure if the Angelos family is willing to pay out $59M+ to get the rights to an elite prospect. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is this just a thought exercise or are there any legit rumors that the Padres would trade Abrams if it meant getting out from under Homer's contract?

The only concern I would have with Abrams (well besides the risk that a prospect doesn't live up to expectations) is his tibia and MCL injury an indicator that he's going to have an injury prone career. 

If medical experts don't see a reason to worry about Abrams' long term health, then that's a trade I probably make. The only problem is I'm not sure if the Angelos family is willing to pay out $59M+ to get the rights to an elite prospect. 

Pads are looking to move him.  I can’t imagine anyone trades for him without value coming back.

https://theathletic.com/2731763/2021/07/26/updating-orioles-trade-talks-teams-continue-to-pursue-paul-fry-and-tanner-scott/?source=user_shared_article

According to industry sources, the two Orioles receiving the most trade interest this month continue to be lefty relievers Paul Fry (4-3, 3.49 ERA, 39 games, 1.0 WAR) and Tanner Scott (3-4, 3.12 ERA, 45 games, 1.1 WAR).

• Upvote 1

There are additional Orioles on other clubs’ radars, including right-handed relievers Cole Sulser and Dillon Tate and injured shortstop Freddy Galvis, who likely will return to minor-league action this weekend and retains some trade value despite missing a month due to a right quad strain. Here’s a look, based on industry sources and scuttlebutt, on how the trade market has — or hasn’t — developed for the Orioles heading into the last few days before the deadline.

Trey Mancini: Teams are interested, and the Orioles will listen because Mancini is a free agent after 2022. But the sense is Mancini, 29, will not be moved this July. He’s arguably the most inspirational story in baseball and means a great deal on and off the field to the franchise. The burning question is whether the club offers a contract extension or resumes trade talks this winter. There have been no substantive contract-extension discussions at this point.

Anthony Santander: He’s not on teams’ radars this season due to injury and spotty performance. He’s not a free agent until after the 2024 season, so this is a tabled subject.

John Means and Cedric Mullins:The message being sent to the industry is that you’d better bring a truck if you want either. No team has stepped up, according to industry sources. And none is expected to. The Orioles, understandably, would ask the moon.

Pedro Severino and Maikel Franco: No buzz. No moves.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

https://theathletic.com/2730475/2021/07/26/padres-on-pace-to-exceed-luxury-tax-threshold-for-first-time-eric-hosmer-trade-among-the-possible-options/?source=user_shared_article

To trade Hosmer, the Padres likely would have to attach significant prospect value. Eating part of his contract may be a requirement, too. (Hosmer, who is owed $59 million over the next four seasons, has limited no-trade protection this year. If he stays with the Padres through 2022, he would earn 10-and-5 rights and the ability to veto any trade.)

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are additional Orioles on other clubs’ radars, including right-handed relievers Cole Sulser and Dillon Tate and injured shortstop Freddy Galvis, who likely will return to minor-league action this weekend and retains some trade value despite missing a month due to a right quad strain. Here’s a look, based on industry sources and scuttlebutt, on how the trade market has — or hasn’t — developed for the Orioles heading into the last few days before the deadline.

Trey Mancini: Teams are interested, and the Orioles will listen because Mancini is a free agent after 2022. But the sense is Mancini, 29, will not be moved this July. He’s arguably the most inspirational story in baseball and means a great deal on and off the field to the franchise. The burning question is whether the club offers a contract extension or resumes trade talks this winter. There have been no substantive contract-extension discussions at this point.

Anthony Santander: He’s not on teams’ radars this season due to injury and spotty performance. He’s not a free agent until after the 2024 season, so this is a tabled subject.

John Means and Cedric Mullins:The message being sent to the industry is that you’d better bring a truck if you want either. No team has stepped up, according to industry sources. And none is expected to. The Orioles, understandably, would ask the moon.

Pedro Severino and Maikel Franco: No buzz. No moves.

If you are going to look to trade Trey in the offseason, it’s moronic to not do it now unless the offers suck.

• Upvote 1