July 31: John Means takes on the Tigers

SteveA

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

He HAS to pitch. Hyde can only do so much with what he has, :noidea:

Of course he has to pitch, but he doesn’t have to pitch in the ninth inning with a four run league, he needs to pitch in the fifth inning with a 10 run lead, I think that would be relatively safe. But sometimes he blazes through the opposition like Grant through Richmond, but you just don’t know what you’re going to get into often it’s the, “oh my god it’s this version.” Guy

3 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

You keep Scott because he might be the next Andrew Miller.

I remember Miller being DFA. We traded for that guy a few years later. 

The wins are almost irrelevant right now, we have to develop our guys to get better.

Yup, for as much as I rip him he’s for a ton of potential. That can be bad, especially for someone who’ll never realize it, but there’s always a shot he wakes up at some point. 

Like I told people who wanted the Orioles to cut bait with him in the minors, you can’t teach velocity. They’ll give him every opportunity to succeed because of what’s in his left arm. 

Until then, buckle in, folks.

4 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

You keep Scott because he might be the next Andrew Miller.

I remember Miller being DFA. We traded for that guy a few years later. 

The wins are almost irrelevant right now, we have to develop our guys to get better.

Scott is inconsistent and always has been.That’s not going to change. He’s undependable, and the problem with being undependable Is that the people who rely on you never know what they’re going to get. That means you can never depend on him and I leverage time. Even tonight we had a four run lead that wasn’t safe.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Yup, for as much as I rip him he’s for a ton of potential. That can be bad, especially for someone who’ll never realize it, but there’s always a shot he wakes up at some point. 

Like I told people who wanted the Orioles to cut bait with him in the minors, you can’t teach velocity. They’ll give him every opportunity to succeed because of what’s in his left arm. 

Until then, buckle in, folks.

Apparently you can’t teach control or command either, and without each of those velocity is entirely wasted. I often say that Baseball history is it littered with hard throwing guys Who couldn’t rely replace it.
I am looking forward to seeing Watkins tomorrow, and he has no velocity at all, but he seems to have everything else( for now at least) and his last start, where he wasn’t very good, was arguably because his schedule was thrown off when he was bumped back two days: instead of starting on Sunday he started on Tuesday for some reason.

Actually, regarding Scott, I wonder if he could throw more reliably if he would Deliberately throw less hard? Instead of throwing 97 wild miles per hour, how about 93 pinpoint miles per hour? I don’t know if that works, and I’m sure if it’s a possibility they have tried it…

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Scott is inconsistent and always has been.That’s not going to change. He’s undependable, and the problem with being undependable Is that the people who rely on you never know what they’re going to get. That means you can never depend on him and I leverage time. Even tonight we had a four run lead that wasn’t safe.

This was Miller too. He had lightning in his left arm, and was the 7th pick in the draft. So the talent was there. He just couldn’t throw strikes.

Until Scott starts costing real money, we keep sending him out.

Either here or the minors.