Rutschman to Norfolk

Frobby

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah that .271 BA in AA just screams to me that he belongs in the majors right this minute.  I’m overwhelmed that he has the 14th best OPS in the AA Northeast.

Look, he’s the no. 1 prospect in baseball, a good defensive catcher and catchers don’t have to hit as well as players at most other positions to have value.   I get all that.   I still say I haven’t seen anything that screams to me that he’s obviously ready for the majors.   It was way more obvious with Wieters.   

That's because your expectations and what you want are way over the top.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I got pulled over by an MP once for doing 8 in a 5.

My stance is clear and I think less of everyone that thinks screwing this kid out of millions is acceptable.  Folks wouldn't be on board if he was in another line of work.

I believe you once got on my case for being the morality police around here, so I find this pretty humorous. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

You are right about your IF.  But it's a meaningless distinction.  The rules say guaranteed contracts are paid even if Chris Davis has basically sucked since day one.  Players and teams both follow the rules as written.  Your imaginary rules don't count in the real world of negotiated contracts.

No sh**.  Just stop pretending you don't want him up because its what is best for him or whatever.  That has nothing to do with it.  

This is about taking advantage of a flawed system and trust me, I am for that to a certain degree.  I wouldn't bring him up in Sept because of the flawed system.  But I would have had him up 4-6 weeks ago and given him a lot of time to learn and adjust at this level.  In my eyes, we gained the extra year already this year (as of 4-6 weeks ago), so I am good.  I don't need to gain another one.  I want him up here and learning because, in theory, the goal is to build the best ML team, not be able to celebrate that he is ranked #1 or that our system is top 5.  

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I got pulled over by an MP once for doing 8 in a 5.

My stance is clear and I think less of everyone that thinks screwing this kid out of millions is acceptable.  Folks wouldn't be on board if he was in another line of work.

Some would argue about the diff between MP and Cop. :)

I didn't say it was "best" for him.  I said that one year of minor league ball wasn't without value.  I said that putting him on the 40 man roster right now wasn't wise for a number of reasons.  Stop pretending that your opinion is the only one that could possibly be right when there are valid points on the other side.

I hope we DON'T see him in the majors this year, for 2 main reasons.  1) he'll be taking up a 40 man spot, and to my understanding we have quite a few good players who are going to need 40 man spots this offseason to avoid the rule 5 draft.  Yes, we have a ton of dead weight on the 40 man at the moment, but we still only have 40 spots.  Adding AR to the 40 man means one fewer spot to protect the next Pop, and God knows the outrage over Pop.  2) Starting his service time before it's needed, allowing us to gain an extra year.  Yes the system sucks, yes in many ways it's broken, but as long as it's the system that's in place it's foolish to the O's to start his clock this year.  We aren't going anywhere, and it's not like he's dominating the minors to a degree that makes it embarrassing for us to keep him down there.  The Os need to maximize his value to the team, and that'll be better accomplished by not bringing him up until a few weeks pass next year (under the current rules at least).  

Also, as I noted, he's been a good, but not a GREAT player in the minors.  It's not like we are keeping a guy hitting .400 (.271) or OPSing 1k+ (.901) down.  In my opinion the advantages of keeping him down outweigh the advantages of bringing him up, even as much as I hate watching Severino behind the plate.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some would argue about the diff between MP and Cop. :)

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

In my experience MP's were guys that couldn't get accepted by civilian police departments.  Let's just say that I wasn't a big fan.

That might be why I went ahead and specified that it was a MP and not a cop.  ?

Guy was fine actually, it was the CO of the AFSC that had the problem.  My problem was the car I was driving back then, I'd have to ride the brake to keep it under 6MPH.  I just avoided that side of the base after that.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s too early.   The median age for a player debut is 24.   Even assuming it would shorten by a year if you changed the FA rules, you’d be having the average player reaching free agency after 4-5 years of service.   Owners aren’t going to agree to that drastic a change.   

But that's influenced, maybe heavily influenced, by service time.  I'd bet setting a fixed age for free agency would reduce that median debut age by a year or two.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This guy was Air Force.  I bet it's harder to be an MP in the Air Force than the vast majority of local outfits.

He was a security force or whatever the fly boys call their police. I believe MPs is an army term, and the Navy & Marines have their own terms, dont they?

3 hours ago, interloper said:

No, it's 3 weeks next year before he gets an extra year.

From MLBTR: The Orioles have just a 38-72 record on the season, and they’d gain another year of control over Rutschman by waiting until the third week of the 2022 season to promote him to the big leagues, barring any changes to service time structure in collective bargaining talks between MLB and the MLB Players Association. 

Well there's your timeline unless the collective bargaining agreement changes service time. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

He was a security force or whatever the fly boys call their police. I believe MPs is an army term, and the Navy & Marines have their own terms, dont they?

/shrug.  Don't recall.  I was Army but I was on a joint command post at the time.  I called them all MPs and they never got out of shape over it.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Not adding him to the 40 is not just a matter of there being space on the 40.

If he is added to the 40, and there is a work stoppage -- Adley will be sitting on his butt on April 1.

If he's not on the 40, and there is a work stoppage -- Adley will be playing for the Tides on April 1, gaining more experience, more at bats.   Probably catching Grayson Rodriguez and maybe DL Hall and Baumann.

I definitely think this scenario and 40-man roster issues this offseason are the main reasons to keep him in the minors this year outside of the clock issues that are well documented under the current CBA.

• Upvote 1