If you could have any O's HoFer added to this franchise right now...

Moose Milligan

Which Orioles Hall of Famer would you add to the current roster?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Orioles Hall of Famer would you add to the current roster?

• SP Jim Palmer
    • 3B Brooks Robinson
    • RF Frank Robinson
    • 1B Eddie Murray
    • SS Cal Ripken

Hard one.  
I went with Palmer because of need.  

Frank would have been a great addition, even if current day Orioles also got him at age 30. He was somewhere between dominant and very very good almost all of the 7 seasons he spent here. Also, a natural leader and someone who knew how to win.  

3 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

Hard one.  
I went with Palmer because of need.  

Frank would have been a great addition, even if current day Orioles also got him at age 30. He was somewhere between dominant and very very good almost all of the 7 seasons he spent here. Also, a natural leader and someone who knew how to win.  

Anyone want to figure out how much a 30 year old Frank Robinson would make a year in 2021 salary? 

Just rough it to 35M a year?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Palmer doesn’t have the 60s and 70s defense behind him.  

There is some evidence that Palmer actually did pitch to contact at times.  His K rate was supposedly higher in high leverage situations.  I think he would have been able to adapt his style of pitching to the current era.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone want to figure out how much a 30 year old Frank Robinson would make a year in 2021 salary? 

Just rough it to 35M a year?

30 you say.  So, if he was drafted by the O's, he'd be in his 2nd major league season?  

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is some evidence that Palmer actually did pitch to contact at times.  His K rate was supposedly higher in high leverage situations.  I think he would have been able to adapt his style of pitching to the current era.

He actually cited a fact about his K rate with runners on 3rd and less than two out on the air a few weeks back.   I think he said it was 30% higher than his regular K rate.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He actually cited a fact about his K rate with runners on 3rd and less than two out on the air a few weeks back.   I think he said it was 30% higher than his regular K rate.   

So, I looked it up.   His K% was 13.7% for his career, 16.9% with a runner on 3B and less than two out.   Both low numbers by today’s standards, but in say, 1974, league average was 12.9% overall and 12.8% with runner on 3B and less than 2 out.   So 16.9% was very good at the time.  

Interestingly, today the league average is 23.5% overall and 21.1% with a runner on 3B and less than two out.   So in 1974 there was no league-wide gap between overall and runner on 3B less than two outs, whereas now there a >2% gap.   What this tells me is that batters today don’t care as much about striking out, but they do try to avoid it with a runner on 3B and  less than two out.   They nevertheless do strike out in that situation a lot more than in 1974.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bobby Grich.  71 rWAR and not in Cooperstown.

I remember my uncle telling me about bobby grich as a kid, and then meeting him as a teen. Followed by watching videos and studying his stats because I was born 2 years after he stopped playing. Man he is so underrated!