Cedric Mullins - 30/30 ?

RZNJ

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Mullins is without a doubt going to be the Os MVP. I’m wondering if whoever is second would be there merely as a courtesy, because the distance between Cedric, and Defense on office and on the basis, is so far ahead of anybody else.

Do they even disclose who came in second?

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What are you expectations for him next year and beyond?

.280/.340/.450

I can easily see a decline.  I also wouldn't be surprised if this is who he is.  

Not a lot of comps out there for guys who came up, struggled mightily, gave up switch hitting, worked their ass off and raked for a whole year.  Dude might **** around and lead the league in hits.

I really don't know what to think.  

• Upvote 2

I think the power sees the biggest drop off.  He should be able to hit for a good average if he continues to be even halfway decent vs lefties.  

I would think a 280/350 BA/OBP line is obtainable.  The speed will be there, the defense is good but not great.

The power is what is separating him this year. I expect to see a pretty big drop in that. 

Part of me really wants to see him dealt this offseason but I think we need more info on a guy like Cowser in CF.  

I think he’s a 1.5-3WAR guy going forward.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Means. Maybe Mountcastle.  

Means has 3.6 bWAR and Mountcastle has 1.0 Means would clearly be second and he’s not as far behind Mullins’ 4.8 as I thought.

Interesting tidbit is that Urias has 1.6 BWAR in more than 200 fewer ABs than Mountcastle. Wonder why…

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do they even disclose who came in second?

I have no idea. I was just pointing out how far ahead of everybody else Mullins has been. Even if his defense is scuffling a bit right now, He still our best outfielder, although McKenna is really showing himself well with the glove.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

.280/.340/.450

I can easily see a decline.  I also wouldn't be surprised if this is who he is.  

Not a lot of comps out there for guys who came up, struggled mightily, gave up switch hitting, worked their ass off and raked for a whole year.  Dude might **** around and lead the league in hits.

I really don't know what to think.  

Early in the season I compared him to Mookie Betts without the arm. I got mocked, predictably. That's looking like a pretty fair comp right now though strictly in terms of this season in a vacuum. 

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Means has 3.6 bWAR and Mountcastle has 1.0 Means would clearly be second and he’s not as far behind Mullins’ 4.8 as I thought.

Interesting tidbit is that Urias has 1.6 BWAR in more than 200 fewer ABs than Mountcastle. Wonder why…

Mountcastle's defense in the OF early in the year wrecked his WAR. Also Urias has been a solid all around player.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Early in the season I compared him to Mookie Betts without the arm. I got mocked, predictably. That's looking like a pretty fair comp right now though strictly in terms of this season in a vacuum. 

Betts is having a down year, by his standards and is 28 years old.  Good chance he can bounce back next year.  Even still, his OPS is .898 right now.

Can Cedric be a .900+ OPS guy?  Betts even passed 1.000 in 2018 when he won the MVP. 

That's the thing, in a vacuum this season you're correct.  They're comparable, with Cedric looking better in some categories.  But Betts' worst year since 2017 is comparable to Cedric's best.  Unfortunately, looking in a vacuum doesn't really help us going forward. 

IMO, heading into 2022, seeing if Cedric can repeat this year or come close to it is one of the biggest questions.  If he does repeat, your comp might not be too far off base.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Betts is having a down year, by his standards and is 28 years old.  Good chance he can bounce back next year.  Even still, his OPS is .898 right now.

Can Cedric be a .900+ OPS guy?  Betts even passed 1.000 in 2018 when he won the MVP. 

That's the thing, in a vacuum this season you're correct.  They're comparable, with Cedric looking better in some categories.  But Betts' worst year since 2017 is comparable to Cedric's best.  Unfortunately, looking in a vacuum doesn't really help us going forward. 

IMO, heading into 2022, seeing if Cedric can repeat this year or come close to it is one of the biggest questions.  If he does repeat, your comp might not be too far off base.  

I like his chances to repeat based on the simplicity of his swing, ability to hit lefties, and the fact that he's been so consistent all year. Also, he doesn't chase much so you have to pitch to him and he can do anything from walk to bunt to homer. But of course a year ago he was on the bust pile, so who knows! 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the power sees the biggest drop off.  He should be able to hit for a good average if he continues to be even halfway decent vs lefties.  

I would think a 280/350 BA/OBP line is obtainable.  The speed will be there, the defense is good but not great.

The power is what is separating him this year. I expect to see a pretty big drop in that. 

Part of me really wants to see him dealt this offseason but I think we need more info on a guy like Cowser in CF.  

I think he’s a 1.5-3WAR guy going forward.

This is a good park for him.   He has 17 homers at home.  7 on the road.   He once hit 13 homers in 76 games at Bowie.   He certainly doesn't have huge power.  I see him as a 15-20 homer guy but I wouldn't be surprised if he hit over 25 again.