DJ Stewart to 60 Day IL and Cesar Valdez called up from Norfolk

OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, Philip said:

Someone explain why we brought Valdez back?

Could you have raised this before he blew the save?

We brought him back to be another arm in our endlessly bad bullpen.   Too bad it worked out that we needed him to pitch the 10th.   Still, if Santander isn’t gimpy that ball is caught and we win the game.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Could you have raised this before he blew the save?

We brought him back to be another arm in our endlessly bad bullpen.   Too bad it worked out that we needed him to pitch the 10th.   Still, if Santander isn’t gimpy that ball is caught and we win the game.  

No I would have raised the question anyway. I honestly don’t know who is available on the farm, but Valdez is a known quantity, he’s not part of the future, And even if our goal is to lose our remaining 10 games, the idea is that we should learn about our potential future players while doing so, so there’s no reason for him to be here.

His performance tonight wasn’t bad, but has nothing to do with the timing of my question.

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Hope he has a full recovery and comes into Spring Training 100 percent. I do not expect him to be removed from the 40-man roster in the off-season. I think he will compete to be the strong side of a platoon with Hays and a left-handed bat off the bench / occasional DH to spell Mancini (or if Mancini is traded). He will still make the minimum next year and there are enough questions about Hays' ability to hit righties and Santander's ability to hit period, that he will survive at least through the off-season. Hopefully Kyle Stowers will displace him by the All Star Break

I tend to agree with this, but the big roster crunch this offseason may see him get cut from the 40-man. They could use Neustrom (who I'd rather keep over Stewart) in the 5th OF role early in the year. Hays, Mullins, Santander and McKenna, obviously, being the other four. And then, as you noted, Stowers is eventually likely to break in next year, too. 

Stewart probably makes it through the first cut when the 60-day IL guys are added back. Lopez, Abad, Harvey, Eshelman, Valdez, Hannold, Martin, Valaika, Guitierrez, Diaz, Bannon, Wade, Watkins, and a number of others are all ahead of him on DFA train, but once you make room for all the 60-day IL guys, all the guys we need to protect against Rule-5, and the couple guys we MAY add to the team via Free Agency, Rule-5 draft, and/or trade, his number may end up being called. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Unique pitch that league couldn't figure out initially. They figured it out.

When they stopped swinging at pitches outside the strike zone he stopped being effective.   I enjoyed him making Segura look ridiculous last night, though.   One of the worst looking at bats I ever witnessed.   

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When they stopped swinging at pitches outside the strike zone he stopped being effective.   I enjoyed him making Segura look ridiculous last night, though.   One of the worst looking at bats I ever witnessed.   

At least we know one guy that does no film work on the pitchers he may face! lol

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think we've seen the last of Stewart on the O's.  Unless he's not claimed by another team in the offseason.  Too many young OF prospects coming up next season.  Stewart is too defensively limited and doesn't have enough bat to make up for it. 

I think it's likely no one claims Stewart and he comes back to the Orioles on a minor league contract.