Seems like OPACY was more hitter-friendly than ever this year

Frobby

16 minutes ago, waynebug said:

The problems are the cheap home runs in left and especially right field.

It does make for exciting, high scoring games that should draw viewers and stadium crowds.  

When I had MASN I enjoyed all the scoring, knowing the game was always in doubt.  

I’m very agnostic when it comes to scoring.   I just want my team to win - I don’t care if it’s 7-6 or 3-2.   The 2014 team wasn’t particularly high scoring, but it had the best pitching season the O’s have had in a very long time.  Give the fans a winning team, they will come to see that team play.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Yankees hit 20 homers at OPACY, next highest road park was 9.

The Red Sox hit 19 homers at OPACY, next highest road park was 11.

The Rays hit 25 homers at OPACY, next highest road park was 13.

The Jays were more equal opportunity, hitting 21 homers at OPACY, Yankee Stadium and Fenway.   

That’s 85 homers against us at OPACY by the AL East teams in 38 games, compared to 70 hit by our other opponents in 43 games.   

I feel like this probably tilts like 80% Orioles pitching, 20% ballpark for opposing batters.

But Orioles Batters against all opponents, I did go "Really?" last night when Garceau had the cherrypick that the Orioles lead all MLB teams in Home Second Half Homeruns.   No idea if we've had a few extra home games to help that, and am sure the MASN researchers didn't care either way!

I have heard BAL one of the most dramatic swing parks having in-season changes of temperature/humidity to hinder or help the well-hit balls.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It is an unusual anomaly in the statistics, but did anything change at OPACY that would explain this? Looking at the yearly splits maybe something is different in 2021, but the 2019 Orioles pitcher gave up 45 more home runs at OPACY. 

If this trend repeats next year or remains the same when the pitching staff improves, then I'm more inclined to read more into this year's home run splits.

Orioles Hitters Home Run Splits

2016 Home: 131 Road: 122

2017 Home: 135 Road: 97

2018 Home: 100 Road: 88

2019 Home: 114 Road: 99

2020 Home: 45 Road: 32

2021 Home: 122 Road: 70

Orioles Pitcher Home Run Splits

2016 Home: 88 Road: 95

2017 Home: 127 Road: 115

2018 Home: 123 Road: 111

2019 Home: 175 Road: 130

2020 Home: 43 Road: 36

2021 Home: 155 Road: 92

Here's a cheap crack at an explanation without any research....  The Minor League Shuttle was in greater effect for pitching when the club was closer to home... because they didn't want to pay for travel.

Edited by owknows

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I feel like this probably tilts like 80% Orioles pitching, 20% ballpark for opposing batters.

But Orioles Batters against all opponents, I did go "Really?" last night when Garceau had the cherrypick that the Orioles lead all MLB teams in Home Second Half Homeruns.   No idea if we've had a few extra home games to help that, and am sure the MASN researchers didn't care either way!

I have heard BAL one of the most dramatic swing parks having in-season changes of temperature/humidity to hinder or help the well-hit balls.

Yep, observed that for years.   As soon as it warms up in late May, early June, the balls start flying out.

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

38 home games, 32 road games since the all star break (which I assume is what they mean by “second half,” even though the literal halfway point came on June 30/July 1).   By my count they’ve hit 63 homers in those 38 games — that’s pretty healthy.  

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2021-batting-pitching.shtml

Through 159, AL is slugging .413, including the .468 the Orioles contributed to that, but at a glance I don't see a path to Home/Road splits on the team level stats.

Orioles pitching slugging percentage allowed at home is .495 versus .438 on the road. The pitching staff is bad everywhere with a 6.00 ERA at OPACY and 5.52 ERA on the road.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=BAL&year=2021

• Thanks 1

Final home vs. away tally for 2021 added (runs scored, runs allowed, total):

2012: +62, +51, +113

2013: +19, +21, +40

2014: -23, -23, -46

2015: +87, +5, +92

2016: +8, -43, -35

2017: +47, -27, +20

2018: +56, -70, -14

2019: -11, +83, +72

2020: +22, +59, +81 (projected for 162 games)

2021: +65. +58, +123