All 2021 1st Year Minor League All-Star team

Tony-OH

• Tony-OH changed the title to All 2021 1st Year Minor League All-Star team

Nice list!   Worth noting the ages of the DSL players (baseball age protocol):

Basallo 16

Tejada 17

Alvarez 18

Benscome 18

Junior Lara, 17, missed the start of the season and fell short of your 100 PA threshold (74), but he sure looked like someone to watch (.328/.425/.492).   He played mostly CF and wouldn’t have beaten out Cowser even if he qualified, but I thought I’d mention him here as someone to watch in the FCL next year.  

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Denoyer pitched in 3 games for the 2019 GCL Orioles.   Just saying.

Reliever was tough because most first year guys that are good were starters. I also would have swore Denoyer was one of those free agent signees after the 2020 draft. Thanks for the catch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice list!   Worth noting the ages of the DSL players (baseball age protocol):

Basallo 16

Tejada 17

Alvarez 18

Benscome 18

Junior Lara, 17, missed the start of the season and fell short of your 100 PA threshold (74), but he sure looked like someone to watch (.328/.425/.492).   He played mostly CF and wouldn’t have beaten out Cowser even if he qualified, but I thought I’d mention him here as someone to watch in the FCL next year.  

Worth noting that Basallo led all of the Orioles DSL players in HRs and was at the playing age of 16 this year. It would really be interesting if they start him in the GCL next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Worth noting that Basallo led all of the Orioles DSL players in HRs and was at the playing age of 16 this year. It would really be interesting if they start him in the GCL next year. 

Do you have any doubt that they will?   I certainly expect it.   He’ll be very young for the league, but I don’t see any reason for him to repeat the DSL.  FWIW, he’ll be 10 days younger than Darrel Hernaiz was when he played in the GCL in 2019.

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:44 PM, Tony-OH said:

Would be really nice to see a catching tandem of Basallo and Willems in the FCL next year. That’s some upside. 

On 10/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, Frobby said:

Do you have any doubt that they will?   I certainly expect it.   He’ll be very young for the league, but I don’t see any reason for him to repeat the DSL.  FWIW, he’ll be 10 days younger than Darrel Hernaiz was when he played in the GCL in 2019.

I would think he will be along with Hernandez despite Hernandez's relatively lackluster pro debut down there.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, Frobby said:

I assume Willems will be gunning to make Delmarva.   

I would be pleasantly surprised if Willem made Delmarva. I'm not sure why it took him so long to get started and why they shut him down so quickly, but his struggles in his limited playing time suggest he might be more of a long term project vs a fast mover. My guess he will be on one of the FCL teams next year. 

• Upvote 2

• Tony-OH unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 3:11 PM, Tony-OH said:

SS: Frederick Bencosme (DSL)- .310/.365/.451/.816   6 2b, 2 HR in 158 PAs

Bencosme is a guy who kind of flew under the radar this year despite decent numbers.   I heard Koby Perez talking him up a little in an interview.    Definitely someone I’ll keep an eye on next year.