Clearing Roster space, October

HowAboutThat

I included the month in this post title because we’re going to see lots and lots of different versions of this subject over the coming weeks. This is just a starting point.

Much has been made of the fact that we have first pick in the waiver process, but also that teams are going to be dumping a lot of players who are better and younger and cheaper than the guys we have. We also have to clear spots for the rule 5.

With that in mind, here’s my initial list of guys who get the axe.

Abad

Burdi claimed by AZ 10-14

Eshelman gone 10-23

Fry

Hanhold

Harvey(free agent)

Kriske

Lakins gone 10-14

Mattson

Wade gone 10-23

Wynns gone 10-23

Severino

Jones

Valaika gone 10-23

Martin

Stewart

I confess to having a soft spot for Watkins, so I left him off the list, but I’m fully aware that he’s as vulnerable as anyone. So that’s 16-17 guys who depart these environs.

Edited by Philip
DFA updates 10-23

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

I included the month in this post title because we’re going to see lots and lots of different versions of this subject over the coming weeks. This is just a starting point.

Much has been made of the fact that we have first pick in the waiver process, but also that teams are going to be dumping a lot of players who are better and younger and cheaper than the guys we have. We also have to clear spots for the rule 5.

With that in mind, here’s my initial list of guys who get the axe.

Abad

Burdi 

Eshelman

Fry

Hanhold

Harvey(free agent)

Kriske

Lakins

Mattson

Wade

Wynns

Severino

Jones

Valaika

Martin

Stewart

I confess to having a soft spot for Watkins, so I left him off the list, but I’m fully aware that he’s as vulnerable as anyone. So that’s 16-17 guys who depart these environs.

I would add Greene, Krehbiel, Watkins, Ciuffo, and  Bannon to the list.

Severino are Fry are consideration for non tender in November. But I am not sure how they turns out.

I believe Stewart will be protected on the 40 man but could be traded later.

Jones stays IMO.

Stewart 2022 is the kind of guy I would have liked us to pursue when we were in year one or two of our rebuild. With Mullins, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Mancini, Stowers, McKenna, Neustrom, etc, I don't see how he fits with us next year. And I agree Jones doesn't belong on this list. 

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Stewart 2022 is the kind of guy I would have liked us to pursue when we were in year one or two of our rebuild. With Mullins, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Mancini, Stowers, McKenna, Neustrom, etc, I don't see how he fits with us next year. And I agree Jones doesn't belong on this list. 

Hays and Santander are injury prone.  Moncastle and Mancini will probably never play the outfield again.  Stowers and Neustrom begin 2022 in AAA.  McKenna can't hit a ML fastball.  I am not saying that Stewart will be on the 2022 team but he is not eligible for arbitration yet and he has an option left.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays and Santander are injury prone.  Moncastle and Mancini will probably never play the outfield again.  Stowers and Neustrom begin 2022 in AAA.  McKenna can't hit a ML fastball.  I am not saying that Stewart will be on the 2022 team but he is not eligible for arbitration yet and he has an option left.

I mention Mountcastle/Mancini because they make the DH slot unavailable to Stewart. Stowers probably starts in AAA, but that's not certain IMO. 

Paul Fry potentially ending up on this list is a bit shocking. Fry was good in a limited 2020 season and was a serviceable relief pitcher in the first half of this past season. But  that 10.67 ERA post all star break has sabotaged his chances at remaining on the roster.

I think Jahmai Jones gets protected and maybe one of Severino/Wynns. 

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Exactly. No reason to give up on Stewart at this point, but he’s not a guarantee to make the OD roster. 

37 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I can see the O's keeping Wynns just because someone needs to be backup catcher for the first couple of weeks until Adley is "ready".  I know Wynns is no long term answer, but I'm sure he can be kept for a minimum contract (probably even a split contract).

I think Wynns gets DFA'd and the O's re-sign him to a minor league contract.  They don't need to use a 40 man roster spot to keep him in the O's organization.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Why would we take Jones off the 40 man? That’s absurd. 

And Watkins is hot dumpster trash. He should never pitch for us again. 

Jones is a terrible defender but it was going to be an ok trade off because he was supposed to hit, but he hasn’t hit either. With both Urias and Mateo available, he can safely be Designated and out-righted to AAA.

And re: Watkins, I don’t disagree with you in essence although I certainly do in degree, but like I said, we have soft spots, so I hope he remains for another chance.