Maine Wins 11th...

olehippi

Do we still get Draft picks for Benson?

I think would he have repeated last years performance in 2007 we would have gottten a B type draft pick. But with the current rules I don't think there's a chance for any draft picks for Benson or Wright :( .

The only one who has a chanceto net us a B type draft pick is Patterson if he continues to have a very good august and september.

I think would he have repeated last years performance in 2007 we would have gottten a B type draft pick. But with the current rules I don't think there's a chance for any draft picks for Benson or Wright :( .

The only one who has a chanceto net us a B type draft pick is Patterson if he continues to have a very good august and september.

We will be declining Benson's option so there is no chance of getting a draft pick, even if he won the Cy Young this season.

Patterson has very little chance of being a Type B FA.

You have to remember - you don't get draft picks automatically when a player (even if he's good) leaves via free agency. Your team has to offer the guy arbitration. He has to decline the offer. Then he has to sign with another team. And his prior performance has to be rated by that silly Elias stat and fall into type A or B. A so-so player who suffers a career-threatening injury prior to the last year of a contract is very unlikely to result in compensatory picks. If the O's offered Benson arbitration he'd probably accept since there's no guarantee he'll ever pitch again.

Can we please stop the John Maine obsession on this board, he has not pitched for the O's in 2 years... should we all just bow down and pray to the mighty John Maine?

Perhaps not, but the frustration of watching him pitch so well for another team is understandable. It's that old Oriole luck. ;)

Sucks that we got the bad end of that deal but last season we got Benson to eat innings and he did pitch 180 so it's not the worst trade. How were the O's suppose to know that Maine would find an extra 3-4 mph on his fastball which would compliment his curve better?

I'll pull for Maine to do well but I like the rotation we will be putting out there once Trax leaves...

Couldn't it be that the reason Maine is doing so well is because he is under the tutelage of Rick Peterson? Everything seems to have clicked for him with the Mets, which also boasts a good pitcher's park in Shea Stadium.

I know Mazzone is in the same class with Peterson, if not better, but who's to say the same thing would've happened here had he stayed?

Couldn't it be that the reason Maine is doing so well is because he is under the tutelage of Rick Peterson? Everything seems to have clicked for him with the Mets, which also boasts a good pitcher's park in Shea Stadium.

I know Mazzone is in the same class with Peterson, if not better, but who's to say the same thing would've happened here had he stayed?

Developing a solid pitching staff is not just about one star personality in the person of the Major League pitching coach. It's about the whole organization and their approach. Maine pitched roughly the first half of last year in AAA (ironically enough, at Norfolk) for the Mets and that was where he really seemed to start turning the corner. In interviews he's had nothing but praise for the various coaches he's worked with in the Mets' system. It's a better situation for him in a lot of ways and I think he needed the change of scenery. I also see it as a little bit of an indictment of the Orioles' minor league pitcher development.

Never got a chance to see what Mazzone would have done with Maine, since Maine was dealt before the first spring training with Mazzone in camp.

Yea, he beat the pirates, who have one game since returning from the break and have an offense that has all but disappeared.

Of his 11 wins most come from horrible offenses, including:

Pirates

Houston

Washington

Fla x2

Oakland

St. Louis

Colorado at the beginning of the year when their offense was horrible.

He has won against good offenses but largely in games where he gets 4-5 runs in the first 1-3 innings.

He has talent, I will admit that, but he is not as good as he looks on paper - and has built his stats around some games played against horrible offenses this year.

Maine was a true error. We should never trade our prospects if we were not close to competeing for the wildcard. Maine was traded just to see if Benson could get us to .500. Insanity trading to try to be a boring average team.

Archived