2021 Orioles #3 Prospect - Coby Mayo - 3B

Tony-OH

12 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I have Gunnar Henderson #3 because he projects to play the more premium defensive position, and despite having less raw power than Mayo, showed some plate discipline at all levels that he played at this past season, which bodes well for Gunnar's ability to be a complete hitter.

I like Tony's #3 ranking for Mayo, though. Never seen an O's prospect in my lifetime with this kind of raw power at such an early age.

Most of the big publications will be lazy and rank Hall #3, but his injury risk profile and risk to be a reliever place him behind Gunnar, Mayo, and Cowser for me.

I follow Prospects Live and am a Patreon member for them, and while their list has a fantasy tilt to it, they’ve got Mayo at 32 and Henderson at 34.  They’ve also got Cowser at 49 ahead of Hall at 61.  All of those rankings are overall, obviously.  

A couple of their guys have been really bullish on Mayo since his season started as well, so it isn’t necessarily a huge overeaction.  

• Upvote 2

Roch seems on board:

“If the Orioles can implement their prospect plan at third base, Coby Mayo will be handling the hot corner and hitting long home runs for many years.

“They can figure out how to occupy the middle infield with the batch of shortstops who crash their top 30 prospects lists, including Gunnar Henderson and Jordan Westburg among the first 10. Henderson could be the shortstop and Westburg the second baseman. They could reverse roles.

“One of them could move over to third, but good luck trying to budge Mayo.

“You can delay the fourth-rounder, but you can’t hold Mayo for long.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/10/who-starts-at-third-base-while-orioles-wait-for-mayo.html

• Upvote 1

I don’t quite understand the concern over Mayo’s size, and why some folks believe that will keep him from sticking at 3rd base. He’s listed at 6’5” / 215lbs. I believe that’s an inch taller and about ten pounds heavier than Cal Ripken Jr. was when he was a rookie at 3rd in 1982. Cal’s size never seemed an impediment to him defensively while he was at 3rd, and it certainly didn’t appear to hurt him when he moved to the more demanding position at SS. 

Right now Austin Riley is playing pretty good 3rd base for the Braves, and he’s listed at 6’3” / 240lbs. If somebody his size can stick there for a World Series contender why can’t Mayo do the same for us? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don’t quite understand the concern over Mayo’s size, and why some folks believe that will keep him from sticking at 3rd base. He’s listed at 6’5” / 215lbs. I believe that’s an inch taller and about ten pounds heavier than Cal Ripken Jr. was when he was a rookie at 3rd in 1982. Cal’s size never seemed an impediment to him defensively while he was at 3rd, and it certainly didn’t appear to hurt him when he moved to the more demanding position at SS. 

Right now Austin Riley is playing pretty good 3rd base for the Braves, and he’s listed at 6’3” / 240lbs. If somebody his size can stick there for a World Series contender why can’t Mayo do the same for us? 

Because they saw him play?

My read on the reports is that he needs better feet. A lot can be done, especially for a young guy, to work on your feet. He should be running ladders every day plus a multitude of drills to connect the feet to the rest of the fielding and throwing motion. I think it's achievable, but you have to put in the work.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...