Who are the Orioles 2021 #15 and #16 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the Orioles 2021 #15 and #16 prospects?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the Orioles 2021 #15 and #16 prospects?

• Mike Baumann - RHP and Kyle Bradish - RHP
    • Kyle Bradish - RHP and Terrin Vavra - 2B/CF
    • Zac Lowther - LHP and Carter Baumler - RHP
    • John Rhodes - OF and Carter Baumler - RHP
    • Terrin Vavra - 2B/CF and Mike Baumann - RHP

This poll is closed to new votes

If Vavra turns into a solid utility player bouncing between the OF and 2B, that's a useful piece to have at #16 and Bradish has a shot (I think) to be a back-end starter...again, not bad for #15. I love that at this point in the list we still have players that we have expectations of being solid pieces (albeit not necessarily key contributors). I'm still used to this point in the list being filled with guys I'm far less optimistic about. 

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why is that? Both had uneven progression in AAA and poor MLB debuts. Baumann was ranked ahead of Lowther on the 2020 list and in the power rankings. Was the eye test in his MLB debut that bad? 

Go looks at their repertoire's on Baseball savant and tell me who you think has a better chance of sticking as a starter?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I assume a lot of that 14% is due to control problems with Milb pitchers. ML pitchers have no reason not to throw strikes to a guy who can’t hurt them. Gonna be difficult to maintain. 

Yes, I call it the Joey Rickard effect. Guys with great OBP who don't have a ton of power in the minors tend to be guys whose walk rates go way down at the major league level so they need to be able to hit for average.

I voted Bradish/Vavra this morning but after reading some of Tony's thoughts in this thread and others I will change it to Rhodes and Baumler. 

We are going upside here.  No problem with that, only to say we are getting a lot of unproven prospects in this 10-20 range whose flaws are not a big part of the conversation only because we have not really seen them play yet against legitimate competition. 

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

I'm saying Rhodes and Baumler.  Rhodes is my dark horse candidate to make a major league roster (be it Baltimore or elsewhere) and stick for a decade or so.  

I'd like to hear what you like about Rhodes.   He had a decent debut season and I certainly am hopeful that he becomes a big time prospect.   He didn't strike out a lot and held his own but he also didn't flash gaudy power numbers either.

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'd like to hear what you like about Rhodes.   He had a decent debut season and I certainly am hopeful that he becomes a big time prospect.   He didn't strike out a lot and held his own but he also didn't flash gaudy power numbers either.

I don't really have a specific reason.  He gets on base and puts the ball in play, I guess.  He was projected as a first round pick but production was not the best in 2020 at Kentucky and his draft status dropped.  I think he gets the pop back in his bat that he had in Kentucky.  His last year in college he had a .398 OBP and a .508 slugging percentage.  Next season will be interesting to watch his progression.  Where he is already 21, he needs to jump at least two levels in the minors next year, I think.  He's my dark horse.  I don't know anything, really, about his defense so someone will have to comment on that.

I voted Bradish and Vavra too. Real quick. After thinking about it though I really love the upside of Rhodes and Baumler.

Rhodes and Baumler have first round talent. Baumler had the TJS, but that doesn’t seem like as big of a deal compared to a shoulder surgery. 

Vavra can rake. Good baseball bloodlines. His Dad Joe Vavra has been a longtime coach in the milb and mlb, reaching as far as MLB hitting coach for Detroit. Two of his older brothers were drafted by the Twins. Those things don’t guarantee that he’s a MLB’er, but I think you can read into that and say he can keep up his OBP skills in the MLB. I also, don’t knock him for playing other positions. Players like Flaherty, Swiss G, and Zobrist, have been really valuable. 

Tony’s been going upside here. I love Rhodes’ profile. But I think it’s time for Bradish and Vavra to go. I think both have high floors of being at least MLB contributors in some capacity. 

• Upvote 1