I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

So I just saw that the Marlins have traded for Joey Wendle, and a graphic showed this offseason so far they've acquired Jacob Stallings via trade with the Pirates, signed Avisail Garcia via FA (4/53), and extended Sandy Alcantara (5/56). 

They gave up their #21 prospect for Wendle, their #16 and #23 plus a 127 ERA+ pitcher for Stallings.

These are the kinds of moves I would've thought we'd be in a position to make. Nothing overwhelming but something to show improvement and support the guys coming up next year. 

I mean, the 2022 Marlins will not be in the playoffs, IMO.  Making moves anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, justD said:

So I just saw that the Marlins have traded for Joey Wendle, and a graphic showed this offseason so far they've acquired Jacob Stallings via trade with the Pirates, signed Avisail Garcia via FA (4/53), and extended Sandy Alcantara (5/56). 

They gave up their #21 prospect for Wendle, their #16 and #23 plus a 127 ERA+ pitcher for Stallings.

These are the kinds of moves I would've thought we'd be in a position to make. Nothing overwhelming but something to show improvement and support the guys coming up next year. 

I mean, the 2022 Marlins will not be in the playoffs, IMO.  Making moves anyway.

Yep..definitely a move the Os should have been in on but that would mean paying someone more than $3.

Maybe this opens up Brian Anderson to be non-tendered or even more tradable.  Although he also probably makes too much money.

You could build a better pitching staff with the non-tenders than the Orioles had last season.  Wouldn't mind them taking chances on any of the following:

Kuhl, Boyd, Gsellman, Suero, Vasquez

I am sure there will be more as the deadline nears.  And before anyone tells me these guys were terrible last year, the signing of Odor clearly indicates the Orioles are not this upcoming season seriously, and the Orioles big pitching signing last year was Harvey.

I was really hoping that the Braves would non-tender Johan Camargo (they did) and then we would quickly scoop him up for a mil or two (maybe some incentives too) and a promise for an Opening Day starting gig. We quickly scooped up Rougned Odor for the league minimum, role TBD.

Gonna be another one of those offseasons, I guess.

Also, the impending lockout and yet another "exciting" chase for a top 3-5 draft pick to "look forward to." 

Life as an Orioles fan atm:

:puke:

:leaving:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t agree that we have so many holes that we can’t fill them or that we should just punt on this first place season.  However, I don’t believe that we have one of the best staffs in baseball either. We HAD one of the best staffs before the Bradish and Means injuries. Now our staff is very shaky. Look at the ERA for the first two months and then compare it to the jump in June. And the skyrocket so far this month.  Currently (for at least the last four/five turns through the rotation) at least one pitcher is getting bombed with a non-competitive start. And sometimes twice through the rotation. We are fortunate that the Yanks have cratered. But this is not sustainable through another half of baseball. There will be no abled arm relievers left by the end of the season having to cover so many innings. This is why since the Houston series we have been a .500ish team. It’s hard to sustain winning streaks with pitching that has been this bad of late.
    • Remember when Gunnar started playing  2b right before he got called up?
    • Nice. Something to consider about EBJ’s OPS… the goal is for him to get himself to 2nd base right?  Why does it matter if he does that at the plate, if he’s stealing so many bases and achieving the same result? He has 49 singles, and 26 walks. He’s 44/53 in stolen base attempts.  He’s probably trying for 2nd base everytime there isn’t a runner occupying 2nd base. It also depends on if the batter co-operates and takes a pitch(es) so he can attempt to steal. So OPS doesn’t calculate really what his value is. They don’t have WAR in the minors that does calculate defense and baserunning. Heck, for all we know he’s right on par of what he should be if “WAR” was available at this level. So he’s “struggling” to hit a .800 OPS that is an artificial milestone that we’ve created. Not Sig and our models. 
    • Probably the two prospects listed in this title. McDermott and EBJ.  Skubal would probably take Holliday + McDermott
    • The real question is will they have the guts to trade Mounty in the offseason to open up first.  In order to do so, you need to make sure Mayo can play first, so this makes sense. 
    • Exactly. If we need 4 pitchers then some contenders need 10. It’s July and the baseball is jumping. I think we’re a little spoiled. They’re are number 4 and 5 starters for a reason. Aka regular season pitchers.  Our staff is limping into the break a little. Coming out of the break we’ll only have 2-3 turns through the rotation until we acquire a SP.  Luckily for us, the Yankees are struggling too. 
    • Cowser had elite batting analytics “red” when he makes contact. The contact is the “blue” part of his baseball savant page.  Gotta make contact. Contact to damage ratio. Channeling Buck Showalter post game pressers. 
  • Popular Contributors