Questions about Jorge Mateo

wildcard

18 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I'm probably the only person on this board that things this, but I'm excited to see him as our starting SS next year.  He's the fastest player in the league, and dynamic players like that are fun to watch.  At minimum he will provide flashes of excitement/entertainment until Westburg is called up.

Speed doesn’t equal good.

He has tools for sure..but those tools haven’t resulted in much success, even in the minors.

Just now, owknows said:

Granted he's been pretty streaky in the minors, but his glove is pretty good, and I think a 748 OPS probably qualifies as decent enough to have earned a look in 22

I am More than happy with him being penciled in as a super UTi guy with the thought he gets 300-400 at bats playing all over the field…and if he shows that he should play everyday at a certain position, so be it.

The idea that we are discussing the idea that he is actually handed an everyday job is disgusting.  He doesn’t deserve anything remotely like that.  He hasn’t been that good as a professional. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I am More than happy with him being penciled in as a super UTi guy with the thought he gets 300-400 at bats playing all over the field…and if he shows that he should play everyday at a certain position, so be it.

The idea that we are discussing the idea that he is actually handed an everyday job is disgusting.  He doesn’t deserve anything remotely like that.  He hasn’t been that good as a professional. 

I have no idea whether he'll be the starting SS.

But calling the idea "disgusting" seems a little harsh given that he's probably among the top options available to the club at the moment, and that I'd be quite happy with his glove and a .748 OPS over a full season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, owknows said:

I have no idea whether he'll be the starting SS.

But calling the idea "disgusting" seems a little harsh given that he's probably among the top options available to the club at the moment, and that I'd be quite happy with his glove and a .748 OPS over a full season.

There are plenty of options available to the club..they just don’t want to get any of them.

And I would prefer Mateo over another Galvis-Esque guy too…but they shouldn’t be on the table either.  The Orioles should be looking for real options.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

There are plenty of options available to the club..they just don’t want to get any of them.

And I would prefer Mateo over another Galvis-Esque guy too…but they shouldn’t be on the table either.  The Orioles should be looking for real options.

They have a couple of real options moving through the system.

For every infield position.

You have the patience of a kid after a pot of coffee and a couple of chocolate bars. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

They have a couple of real options moving through the system.

For every infield position.

You have the patience of a kid after a pot of coffee and a couple of chocolate bars. ?

The idea that you are saying we should be patient after what will be 4 years of tanking and not even attempting to win is hilarious.

And btw, we have zero definitive SS options long term.  In fact…the odds are that we have no SS options.  Not that it can’t happen but it’s also hard to find any real opinions that definitively say Westburg or Henderson can stay at SS.