Questions about Jorge Mateo

wildcard

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Odor is a signal that Mateo is not expected to do anything. He will get a shot and has physical tools but he will have a short leash as an every day player. 

I think Odor is competition for Urias and Gutierrez at 2B/3B. A LH bat to compliment them. Maybe more if he somehow refined his approach significantly. Probably a role or bench guy.

Hyde played Mateo at SS every chance he had over Urias, and I don’t think that changes in 2022. Urias should back him up, and Odor can play 2B on those days. As the roster stands, Mateo is probably the starter at SS. He needs everyday reps to see what he is going to be. Sporadic reps behind an all star infield in San Diego, and mostly in the OF, was not enough to see him. 

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think Odor is competition for Urias and Gutierrez at 2B/3B. A LH bat to compliment them. Maybe more if he somehow refined his approach significantly. Probably a role or bench guy.

Hyde played Mateo at SS every chance he had over Urias, and I don’t think that changes in 2022. Urias should back him up, and Odor can play 2B on those days. As the roster stands, Mateo is probably the starter at SS. He needs everyday reps to see what he is going to be. Sporadic reps behind an all star infield in San Diego, and mostly in the OF, was not enough to see him. 

I agree with all of the above but I also see several scenarios where Mateo plays himself out of the position fairly quickly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree with all of the above but I also see several scenarios where Mateo plays himself out of the position fairly quickly.

Certainly could happen. For me, I think he turned some corners. He is not a sure thing, by any measure. He is an exciting talent in need of an opportunity to show who he is. Lots of guys wilt under that scenario. I think he has a better shot than some think to be a solid everyday guy. Not a star, but solid.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Hyde played Mateo at SS every chance he had over Urias, and I don’t think that changes in 2022. Urias should back him up, and Odor can play 2B on those days. 

I think Mateo has more range than Urias, and maybe the stronger arm.   If they’re both on the field, I prefer Urias at 2B, Mateo at SS.    I’m not sure if Mateo will hit well enough to stay on the field though.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Mateo has more range than Urias, and maybe the stronger arm.   If they’re both on the field, I prefer Urias at 2B, Mateo at SS.    I’m not sure if Mateo will hit well enough to stay on the field though.   

Not much of a body of work to judge him on. So hopeful that his whopping 107 at bats last year were indicative of things to come.

But the realist in me has the same concern

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I trust Urias to make the routine play better than Mateo (at SS).  I trust Mateo to make the more difficult play.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What's that particular Mendoza line look like for you?

In the absence of signing a better option, as long as he kept his OPS above .680 I'd keep running him out there.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I'm just expecting you to be consistent.  

I can't even remember what I said; I just remember you keep throwing it in my face.

But I contend I'm pretty consistent.

Mateo as I described above is an above replacement player.  Short of signing a legitimate ML FA I would keep running Mateo out there before I reached back into the bag of replacement players.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I can't even remember what I said; I just remember you keep throwing it in my face.

But I contend I'm pretty consistent.

Mateo as I described above is an above replacement player.  Short of signing a legitimate ML FA I would keep running Mateo out there before I reached back into the bag of replacement players.

Can you clarify what you meant as Mateo being an above replacement player?