Hackers suck!!

Tony-OH

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

What is “DDOS’d” mean?

At first I thought it was an acronym for “Dan Duquette opposed signing Davis,” but then I said to myself… “nah.”

Distributed Denial of Service attack. Basically it's when a someone or several someone's send out commands that instruct many computer to attempt to ping critical nodes (IP addresses) in order to overwhelm them and take them offline.

I don't know who my current server host also hosts, but for someone reason they were attacked taking all of their sites offline. I doubt they were targeting an Orioles fans site. lol

All of OVH's network is DDOS protected. I've always liked working with them.  

Their mitigation is really good. My server was DDOSed multiple times, and it went into automatic mitigation without losing any uptime.  Lost a little bandwidth while they distributed the attack across their network, but I never got null-routed or anything like that.

Edited by crowmst3k!
Elaboration
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

All of OVH's network is DDOS protected. I've always liked working with them.  

Their mitigation is really good. My server was DDOSed multiple times, and it went into automatic mitigation without losing any uptime.  Lost a little bandwidth while they distributed the attack across their network, but I never got null-routed or anything like that.

I'm moving from them anyways. Moving the message board to an IPS run server so they will do all the upgrades and then I'm looking for a new server for just the Wordpress site and images. Just looking for a cheap option since the wordpress site doesn't draw much resources and traffic is much lower than the message board.

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No, I'm looking for a new solution as we speak. Think I found a home for the message board but need to find something for the WordPress site.

I used to use URLJet because they supported both forums and Wordpress, not sure if you’ve ever considered them or not or if they can support your needs. 

Site is acting funny this morning for me. When my server got hacked I went through a few cycles of tech support rebuilding/restoring until I had to tell them to stop trying to restore a corrupted backup. We had to use an older restore point to finally get a stable build. Lost some material in the process. Hackers suck. 

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Site is acting funny this morning for me. When my server got hacked I went through a few cycles of tech support rebuilding/restoring until I had to tell them to stop trying to restore a corrupted backup. We had to use an older restore point to finally get a stable build. Lost some material in the process. Hackers suck. 

We're preparing to move to a new hosting platform so there will be ups and downs over the next few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, now said:

I had a similar problem a while back (with Wordpress sites at Hostgator) and support steered me to a good free solution, which was to reroute those sites through Cloudflare. 

It wasn't a wordpress issue or that they were attacking my site, it was a server farm issue. Their entire group of servers were attacked. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, Tony-OH said:

I'm moving from them anyways. Moving the message board to an IPS run server so they will do all the upgrades and then I'm looking for a new server for just the Wordpress site and images. Just looking for a cheap option since the wordpress site doesn't draw much resources and traffic is much lower than the message board.

Wordpress is great because it's platform-agnostic, and can be run on very low overhead.  

Oracle has a free tier. Maybe go that route?

1 hour ago, crowmst3k! said:

Wordpress is great because it's platform-agnostic, and can be run on very low overhead.  

Oracle has a free tier. Maybe go that route?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try and make a decision next week. I need a solution that will do the migration, dns setup and provide some kinds solutions for updates throughout the year.