O's players that have nothing more to prove at AAA.

wildcard

I’d forgotten about Baker (claimed off Blue Jays on Nov. 7) and Perez (claimed off Reds Nov. 24).   I’d certainly agree neither needs to prove themselves in the minors.   Whether they’ll pitch well enough to make the OD roster is anyone’s guess.   And, either could fall off the roster as we sign or claim other players once transaction activity resumes.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that you are still riding that “Baumann was good for a month” train despite the info that has been given to you is astonishing.

He wasn’t good that month.  He just didn’t give up a lot of runs.  

Regardless of how you look at his month, I agree with wildcard that how he performs in ST will determine whether he starts the season in the majors vs. AAA.

• Upvote 1

I don't like the concept of "nothing left to prove in AAA/minors" because it is often buttressed with the support of very small sample sizes, and it also ignores the fact that players can perform well in AAA/minors, and that performance is not transferable to the MLs.

I agree however with the general takes on the players above- including that Baumann is probably the most controversial of those listed- and with the idea that the days of slow-rolling promotions are over.

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't as that would almost certainly mean he would be under Orioles control for a shorter time.

We have no clue what this CBA will mean as far as that but I am all for anything that helps players that deserve to be in the bigs get there faster. I personally think its a waste of talent and time when teams play the service time game. You can't disagree that AR on the OD roster is the most exciting this we could have going into this season

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nobody wants to see guys get jammed up in AAA just because of service time constraints.

However, the frequency of such events is wildly exaggerated on this board- usually to support a small cadre of posters who assert they could have returned the O's to competitiveness earlier- the basis of which is usually they would have brought AR up earlier.

I am not saying anything about us doing it or not. I just think the fact that teams will hold someone in AAA for the first month or so of the season to get more service time is not good for the sport, IMO. I am not saying or accusing any abuse but I just think it is a change that would generate a lot of excitement, especially in Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

I am not saying anything about us doing it or not. I just think the fact that teams will hold someone in AAA for the first month or so of the season to get more service time is not good for the sport, IMO. I am not saying or accusing any abuse but I just think it is a change that would generate a lot of excitement, especially in Baltimore.

Do you think if he's up 4/17, instead of 4/1, there won't be any accompanying excitement?