Schmuck: Ramon Deal to Cincy all but Complete

Birds08

Source: Ramon deal all but complete

According to a source here, the Orioles have made substantial progress over the past 24 hours on the prospective deal that would send Ramon Hernandez to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Ryan Freel and a mid-level prospect.

There is a general manager's meeting going on right now, but it's possible the deal could be announced very soon.

O's president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said yesterday that he hoped to get something done at these winter meetings, and this deal would probably be it. The O's don't appear to be close enough with any free agents to get a deal done in the next two days.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2008/12/source_ramon_deal_closer.html

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Further, from Roch in the comments section:

excatcher said:

Does this mean that they'd swap Kendall for Ramon? I'd do that in a heartbeat. Kendall is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball (41 CS, 55 SB), unlike Ramon (24 CS, 99 SB). He'd be a great veteran presence for Wieters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. Hernandez is going to the Reds. - Roch

December 9, 2008 1:53 PM

http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

I guess that shows what the current market is for a 30-something catcher with a decent bat and a lethargic glove. I'm kind of interested in what "mid-level prospect" means, but I'd guess it's something like a 7-10 guy on an organizational list. Freel is nothing but an eccentric corner utility guy.

Did you think the market would be better? He's guaranteed 9 Mil for 2009 and is right around the age when catchers often fall off cliffs.

I guess that shows what the current market is for a 30-something catcher with a decent bat and a lethargic glove. I'm kind of interested in what "mid-level prospect" means, but I'd guess it's something like a 7-10 guy on an organizational list. Freel is nothing but an eccentric corner utility guy.

I really hope this mid-level prospect is someone with actual value.

Maybe they're getting him to be our new "veteran leadership" a la Millar. :rolleyestf:

According to MiLB these are the Reds #7-10 prospects. Who would you want?

6) Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade B-: Very impressive arm, could be a closer perhaps.

7) Zach Stewart, RHP, Grade B-: Strong arm, command issues, could move fast in the pen. Maybe a C+?

8) Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B-: Might downgrade to C+. Very young, tons of potential, command and injury issues. This is one of my “intuition guys” though.

9) Daryl Thompson, RHP, Grade C+: He’s a solid pitcher if he can stay healthy, a big if. I’ve liked him since I shadow-drafted him out of high school.

10) Juan Francisco, 3B, Grade C+: Enormous power potential, very young, but dismal discipline. Did reduce strikeouts last year.

I don't see how Freel provides any value to this club and by blocking players like Salazar and Montanez from sticking (the O's will have to add yet another utility player beyond Freel to backup SS) it seems to be a move that actually hurts the team long term without actually providing any short term benefit besides clearing Hernandez's salary.

I too am interested in the "mid-level prospect" and whether or not he's the actual corner piece of this deal for the O's. It's possible the O's dont' want Freel at all and that taking him and his salary back benefit the Reds more than the O's. If that's the case, the prospect might be better than we could otherwise get because of the sending Ramon and taking Freel are both viewed as "payment" by the O's.

Also, what's the likelihood we flip Freel to say, the Cubs, for Marquis? If the Cubs move one or more of Cedeno, Fontenot, etc, maybe a backup 2b like Freel would actually be of use to them - especially if it lets them dump salary in the bargain?

Sickel's Top 20

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/12/6/683712/cincinnati-reds-top-20-pro

1) Yonder Alonso, 1B, Grade B+: Love the walks, strong power, but sharp platoon split keeps him from higher grade at this time.

2) Todd Frazier, INF, Grade B: I like him. A nice solid hitter, maybe not a star, but should be productive. Only question is defense.

3) Chris Valaika, SS, Grade B: I like him, too. Looks like a fine hitter, even without strong plate discipline. Probably more a 2B than SS.

4) Neftali Soto, 3B, Grade B: Very impressed with his long-term potential. Could use more patience, but strikeout rate isn’t bad and he’s very young.

5) Drew Stubbs, OF, Grade B-: Where did the power go? Other skills are coming along nicely.

6) Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade B-: Very impressive arm, could be a closer perhaps.

7) Zach Stewart, RHP, Grade B-: Strong arm, command issues, could move fast in the pen. Maybe a C+?

8) Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B-: Might downgrade to C+. Very young, tons of potential, command and injury issues. This is one of my “intuition guys” though.

9) Daryl Thompson, RHP, Grade C+: He’s a solid pitcher if he can stay healthy, a big if. I’ve liked him since I shadow-drafted him out of high school.

10) Juan Francisco, 3B, Grade C+: Enormous power potential, very young, but dismal discipline. Did reduce strikeouts last year.

11) Ramon Ramirez, RHP, Grade C+: Could rank as high as 8 depending on what you want to emphasize. Small right-hander with a strong arm, took step forward in ’08.

12) Chris Dickerson, OF, Grade C+: Tremendous tools. He’s more a .250 hitter than a .300 guy, but with speed, power, and defense. Older prospect, which limits his grade.

13) Matt Maloney, LHP, Grade C+: Another guy I have liked for awhile, could be a decent strike-throwing fourth starter.

14) Chris Heisey, OF, Grade C+: Like the speed, gets on base, could be solid fourth outfielder.

15) Sean Henry, OF, Grade C+: A bit less speed than Heisey, but with more pop.

16) Dan Dorn, OF, Grade C+: Kills right-handers, could be a solid platoon bat.

17) Dallas Buck, RHP, Grade C+: Sleeper prospect acquired from Arizona, could surprise now that he’s further away from Tommy John.

18) Robert Manuel, RHP, Grade C+: One of several guys who could slot in nicely as a middle reliever.

19) Carlos Fisher, RHP, Grade C: Considered C+, another potential relief arm with ability.

20) Yorman Rodriguez, OF, Grade C: Too young and raw to rank higher in my system. Need to see some numbers first.

21) Juan Duran, OF, Grade C: Too young and raw to rank higher in my system. Need to see some numbers first.

Heather should be able to shead so light here.

According to Baseball America these are the Reds #7-10 prospects. Who would you want?

7. Todd Frazier, ss

8. Juan Francisco, 3b

9. Josh Roenicke, rhp

10. Matt Maloney, lhp

Bigbird said we were rebuffed for Frazier. If I had to guess I would say we're looking at someone below this level. 11-15ish. If it is one of those guys the most likely is probably Roenicke.

Archived