Schmuck: Ramon Deal to Cincy all but Complete

Birds08

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you please climb down off of that high horse. Neither Salazar (31 years old in June 09) or Montanez (turns 28 on Monday) are young prospects who are being blocked by anyone. They could both be the same kind of useful spare parts that Freel is, but neither is likely to be any more than that. Montanez is a fourth OF'er at best, and Salazar is a utility corner infielder. Both might be part the right handed part of a DH platoon. But that's it. Neither features as a major part of our future, any more or less than Freel. So give that argument a break - it doesn't hold water. And, stop ignoring the two prospects that are apparently coming with Freel.

Why is my opinion a "high horse"?

And your opinion that Montanez and Salazar are no more than spare parts is no more valid or less "high horsey" than my opinion that they deserve a shot to prove they can be valuable contributors at the major league level. What have you got against letting them have that shot?

If the prospects coming back are valuable, then they are the reason why this might be a great trade. But the posts you were alluding to were made before it was learned that one prospect (much less two) were a part of the deal. I'm massively in favor of the deal if Free is a salary dump and the value is in the prospects.

Roch just said he saw Cincinnati's PR people walking around with Ramon Hernandez bio packets.

Phew, so happy to have Ramon Hernandez outta here.

Anyone else get the impression that trading Ramon is driven as much by just getting him away from Wieters as it is about money and getting talent?

Anyone else get the impression that trading Ramon is driven as much by just getting him away from Wieters as it is about money and getting talent?

Yes. Do you think AM would have simply cut Ramon to keep him away from Wieters if he handn't been able to swing this kind of deal?

Even if he's the greatest utility player in the history of utility players, he's got no long term value for this club. We might enjoy watching him play for a year in 2009, but if we resign him after that at his age to anything like the contract he's got now, I'll have a coronary.

My perception of Freel has nothing to do with what he can contribute during a rebuilding year to a team destined to win maybe 70 games. It has to do with the fact he'll be taking a roster spot from either Montanez or Salazar, either of whom could be part of our plans when we actually have a shot to compete.

Now if Freel leads us to a wild card berth as a 4th outfielder, I'll gladly eat crow for a month. Otherwise, he's just an overpriced veteran we don't actually need who's wasting a roster spot IMHO.

On the contrary,He's not wasting a roster spot,he's saving one. He will be the back up for all 3 OF positions as well as the back-up at 2b and 3b. He himself will do the job done normally by two players

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Montanez and Salazar have no long term value for this club either. They are AAAA players.

Getting rid of Ramon meant eating and/or taking a contract back. WE actually got a productive player back who will help tremendously with roster flexibility--which is no small thing with this team carrying all of those pitchers all the time

Archived