What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Austin Hays?

Frobby

What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Austin Hays?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Austin Hays?

• .850 or higher
    • .820 - .849
    • .790 - .819
    • .760 - .789
    • .730 - 759
    • Under .730

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's getting consistent playing time while healthy it's probably going to be because he's playing well (establishing himself).  They kind of go hand in hand as long as everyone else isn't wetting the bed.

Hays pretty much played every day he was healthy last year.  He played in 131 of 134 games when not on the DL.  He started 120 of those and came off the bench in 11.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I know all that but you said you had read about him at SS.   That is what I am interested in.   Callis said he can be a plus SS if given the chance.   IMO if the O's draft him and he can be a plus SS defensively and hit well the O's don't have one of those.  They have an All-Star in CF and a #1 draft choice who is a CF just taken in the draft.     If Elias can find a plus defensive SS who can hit he will fly through he minors in two years and be the O's starting SS in 2024.  As you said "A man can dream."

We're starting to get far afield, but I would be wary of projecting any amateur to move up on the positional  spectrum.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its alright to be wary.  I am positive and optimistic.  We are talking about a guy that may go 1:1 in the draft.

Other than that Callis remark (see what I did there?), I haven’t seen an indication that teams view him as an infielder.    I don’t think it’s pessimistic to say that Jones is viewed as a plus plus CF.

However, it will be interesting to see where he plays defensively this season.   

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Other than that Callis remark (see what I did there?), I haven’t seen an indication that teams view him as an infielder.    I don’t think it’s pessimistic to say that Jones is viewed as a plus plus CF.

However, it will be interesting to see where he plays defensively this season.   

Baseball Factory rates him equally as good as CF and SS.

http://members.baseballfactory.com/player/druw/jones/4854edec671641918b146081c3a04634

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Baseball Factory rates him equally as good as CF and SS.

http://members.baseballfactory.com/player/druw/jones/4854edec671641918b146081c3a04634

Did you just look at the number grade?  If you read the write ups they clearly have him at CF first with SS as his second position.  This silly argument is getting tiresome.

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Did you just look at the number grade?  If you read the write ups they clearly have him at CF first with SS as his second position.  This silly argument is getting tiresome.

If its silly to you don't talk about it.   

Yes, he is going to have the ability to be a stand out CF.  I don't  question that.   But Elias is looking for his stand out SS.  He does not have one in the system.   They are very hard to acquire.    Druw may be his chance to acquire his future SS that plays long term for the O's.    

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

If its silly to you don't talk about it.   

Yes, he is going to have the ability to be a stand out CF.  I don't  question that.   But Elias is looking for his stand out SS.  He does not have one in the system.   They are very hard to acquire.    Druw may be his chance to acquire his future SS that plays long term for the O's.    

It’s really not worth arguing about.   We’ll see what Jones does this year and where he plays.   Even then, we won’t know how Elias grades him vs. the others and what his financial demands are.   

I was listening to a Kevin Goldstein interview and he said at this point there are 5-6 guys who could be no. 1 and there’s no clear cut choice.   He says a lot could change between now and the draft, but if the top 5-6 remain this close, he wouldn’t be surprised to see Elias “get creative” (i.e., go for the cheapest option and spend the savings in later rounds).

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s really not worth arguing about.   We’ll see what Jones does this year and where he plays.   Even then, we won’t know how Elias grades him vs. the others and what his financial demands are.   

I was listening to a Kevin Goldstein interview and he said at this point there are 5-6 guys who could be no. 1 and there’s no clear cut choice.   He says a lot could change between now and the draft, but if the top 5-6 remain this close, he wouldn’t be surprised to see Elias “get creative” (i.e., go for the cheapest option and spend the savings in later rounds).

NCRaven wrote that he had read some reports about Druw playing SS.  I was really interested in what he had read.   However, he has not shared any of information about Druw playing SS.  That is why I was asking about it.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love how all the experts "know" what Elias is going to do.  If I had to guess, Elias' #1 pick is going to surprise people, especially the experts.  Other than his seeming aversion to high first round pitching picks, I don't think you can formulate a pattern for him.  Its like the experts have a thesis that the O's are the worst run team in baseball and are just looking for evidence to support that. 

On 2/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, wildcard said:

NCRaven wrote that he had read some reports about Druw playing SS.  I was really interested in what he had read.   However, he has not shared any of information about Druw playing SS.  That is why I was asking about it.  

This is BS.  I did not say anything about him playing SS.  I spoke of a future outfield with Jones in center.  Corn said that he thought he was a SS and I said maybe in high school but not in the majors.  So just stop telling others what I said.

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is BS.  I did not say anything about him playing SS.  I spoke of a future outfield with Jones in center.  Corn said that he thought he was a SS and I said maybe in high school but not in the majors.  So just stop telling others what I said.

I was riffing off of WC calling him a SS based off of a Callis comment.