Orioles sign Chris Owings

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, if saying I'm ok with signing a super utility guy to a minor league contract is your definition of defending it, then sure, I'm defending it. lol

You crack me up sometimes. Norfolk needs some depth guys as well and a guy who can play just about every position decently is not a bad guy to have in the org. 

Now if we signed him to a major league contract and Elias said he's going to be the everyday "fill in the blank" I'd have issues. Otherwise, it's just a depth move which all teams are making. 

Every signing does not need to "move the needle" to be ok.

The problem is Tony, NO signings move the needle.  Every signing is garbage like this and every signing has the same spin you are saying. 

Im not even saying you are wrong but it’s SSDD with this organization and their approach to improving the ML team, something they obviously don’t care about doing.

I realize it's just a minor league signing, but at some point - when you get so many of these 4A types, it becomes a bit more clear - bit by bit - that you have no intention of using your resources to make even an attempt to significantly improve the team.  And we reach that point pretty much every year.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Former 1st round pick!!

Check out this line last year from Colorado:    .326/.420/.628  ***

That will play sir!

*** please don't ask for any further situational context.  thanks

Smells like a new wildcard favorite.  A great Valaika replacement!  

Given the fact that our key middle infield prospects are a year or two away, I'm assuming Owings sees some time in Baltimore this year but I'm not really expecting much here.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I realize it's just a minor league signing, but at some point - when you get so many of these 4A types, it becomes a bit more clear - bit by bit - that you have no intention of using your resources to make even an attempt to significantly improve the team.  And we reach that point pretty much every year.  

And yet many people are fine with this.

It’s amazing to me that people accept this stuff and are fine with it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Smells like a new wildcard favorite.  A great Valaika replacement!  

Given the fact that our key middle infield prospects are a year or two away, I'm assuming Owings sees some time in Baltimore this year but I'm not really expecting much here.  

I would have used the "smells like" for Odor, but sure.  <rimshot>

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep still ok with the plan that Elias put into place and has been clear and straight forward with the fanbase about since Day 1.

I will say that one year from now I expect him to start putting the pedal to the metal.   Feel free to hold me to that.   Just as I continue to question why you get so frustrated when Elias is doing exactly what he said he would do.

I’m with the frustration that we’re not doing more to help the ML product, but if we were doing that we’d still need to sign guys like this to pad out our organization depth chart. He isn’t a surrogate for guys we should be signing. Odor or Lyles…maybe. Not this guy. 

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yep still ok with the plan that Elias put into place and has been clear and straight forward with the fanbase about since Day 1.

I will say that one year from now I expect him to start putting the pedal to the metal.   Feel free to hold me to that.   Just as I continue to question why you get so frustrated when Elias is doing exactly what he said he would do.

The idea that he is doing what he said he would do means nothing.  It’s the idea that he feels he needs to do it in year 4 and that ownership doesn’t care.

It’s not needed to do this anymore.  It  was fine to do it in the past..not now.

And btw, Elias never gave a time table I don’t believe in how long he wouldn’t care about winning and even if he had and was following it, that doesn’t mean we should be ok with it.

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’m with the frustration that we’re not doing more to help the ML product, but if we were doing that we’d still need to sign guys like this to pad out our organization depth chart. He isn’t a surrogate for guys we should be signing. Odor or Lyles…maybe. Not this guy. 

We already have guys like this to pad our org depth chart.  And he probably gets a real chance to make the team too.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that he is doing what he said he would do means nothing.  It’s the idea that he feels he needs to do it in year 4 and that ownership doesn’t care.

It’s not needed to do this anymore.  It  was fine to do it in the past..not now.

And btw, Elias never gave a time table I don’t believe in how long he wouldn’t care about winning and even if he had and was following it, that doesn’t mean we should be ok with it.

I don't believe he feels he 'needs' to do anything.   I believe he thinks this is the most effective way to create a competitive (and sustainably competitive) MLB team in Baltimore.   You use the word "need" a lot and I think it is misleading.   He is freely choosing to rebuild in this way because he has seen it work before.   I trust his judgement more than I do frustrated fans on message boards (no offense intended).

• Upvote 1

Any year, no matter winning or not if we make a depth signing like this it is always good. Take a chance on a guy and maybe he could provide something valuable. There is very little risk in it and potential reward. But I get it SG somethings will never make you happy.

This is just the part where the hundreds of free agents pick their spots.   

The candidates for spots 1001-1200 on the thirty 40-man rosters probably number in the thousands.    The Danny Duffy woo is the same as the Felix/M. Harvey one...sign here for reps!!    The money will be low, but the shot to show the league something is the value.   

Sometimes we get Jean Pinto and Garrett Stallings for the grind.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What do you expect people to do? I’m not happy about it, but I have no control over what they spend. All you’re doing is annoying the bejesus out of the people here who already feel the same way. 

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I don't believe he feels he 'needs' to do anything.   I believe he thinks this is the most effective way to create a competitive (and sustainably competitive) MLB team in Baltimore.   You use the word "need" a lot and I think it is misleading.   He is freely choosing to rebuild in this way because he has seen it work before.   I trust his judgement more than I do frustrated fans on message boards (no offense intended).

Well, he’s wrong.  You don’t need to suck for several years to be good.  The Orioles competing for a 500 record this year doesn’t stop them from winning long term.

Its completely foolish to think that.