Orioles vs. Red Sox, March 20, 2022 (On MLB App, Free Game of the Day)

86this

Orioles

McKenna CF Urias SS Santander DH Stowers RF Gutierrez 3B Nevin 1B Vavra 2B Bemboom C Neustrom LF Reyes RHP

Red Sox

Arroyo 2B Devers 3B Bogaerts SS Martinez DH Verdugo LF Dalbec 1B Bradley CF Plawecki C Cordero RF Houck RHP

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Silly me, I thought an abbreviated spring training schedule would lead to fewer games with guys that have no chance to make the ML roster.

Just goes to show that ST is a lot longer than it needs to be.

It seems as though the Orioles plan to get players ready to play this year does not include many spring training games. It's been a minor leaguer fest so far outside of Gutierrez.

Tony, if you are watching feed, curious how you'd compare Tanner Houck to say Tyler Wells or DL Hall.   Houck and Whitlock are two Red Sox guys maybe similar to Hall/Wells where I feel like teams these days might see them somewhere in between reliever and starter.    

A Red Sox reporter on MLB this morning in follow-up questions on the rest of the team after talking about Trevor Story described Houck and Whitlock as guys Cora has "stretching out" this spring same as the Orioles have said about Wells.

I see in box Urias went yard on Houck!

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It seems as though the Orioles plan to get players ready to play this year does not include many spring training games. It's been a minor leaguer fest so far outside of Gutierrez.

I guess when you aren't actually trying to win games you can take it slow ramping guys up.

I don't know who this ex player is that's the Red Sox announcer, but he just literally said the Red Sox might bunt Bogarts to "test how the Orioles handle it for the season". 

That might be the dumbest thing I've heard an analyst say during spring training since Jim Hunter once said you could tell Chris Lee was a prospect because of his 5-0 record at Bowie the previous year.

• Haha 2

Tony curious if you think Vavra or Ortiz make it to baltimore this year. They're both a little older (and Vavra is already on 40 man). Vavra at least seems to be getting decent amount of playing time

Also, tbh, I prefer watching the prospects anyways 😛 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Silly me, I thought an abbreviated spring training schedule would lead to fewer games with guys that have no chance to make the ML roster.

Just goes to show that ST is a lot longer than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

To me, they are being cautious with the projected MLB starters for now. The soft tissue injuries can be greatly mitigated by taking the time to properly ramp them up. They usually have a few weeks to get ready to play games. This year, a week. This is a road trip, so in deference to the vets early. Though Hyde did say the vets would travel more than before. 

Again, to me, this is a sign that they actually have a core group and care about competing this year. Maybe it’s just me. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Gutierrez and Urias were the starting lf of the infield on opening day, Santander is also in the lineup today. McKenna will probably be on the roster  Mountcastle, Mancini, Hays, and Mullins played yesterday. The only likely position player starters we haven't seen yet are Odor and Chirinos

7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gutierrez and Urias were the starting lf of the infield on opening day, Santander is also in the lineup today. McKenna will probably be on the roster  Mountcastle, Mancini, Hays, and Mullins played yesterday. The only likely position player starters we haven't seen yet are Odor and Chirinos

I think Gutierrez starts at 3B, Urias at 2B, Mateo at SS and Roogie is in there several times a week, depending on match ups. I don’t like Urias at SS everyday. And I think Mateo is guy they should get 400-500 at bats to and see what you get. He is definitely better at SS than anywhere else, for me anyway. He looks more comfortable there. Definitely not a 3B. 

17 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

To me, they are being cautious with the projected MLB starters for now. The soft tissue injuries can be greatly mitigated by taking the time to properly ramp them up. They usually have a few weeks to get ready to play games. This year, a week. This is a road trip, so in deference to the vets early. Though Hyde did say the vets would travel more than before. 

Again, to me, this is a sign that they actually have a core group and care about competing this year. Maybe it’s just me. 

I don't know, I just think Ryan Mountcastle would probably be well served with getting a few more at bats this spring.

As a for instance.