Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, this is where I am at. Obviously teams end up using more than 5 starters through the course of the season and hopefully Means will be back by the All-Star Break.

The interesting question is going to be what to do with DL Hall. If there isn't going to be a spot for him in the rotation, should he go into spring training as a high-leverage 1-2 inning reliever?

With Voth in the spot-starter / long man role and guys like Zimmermann, Baumann and Rom in the AAA rotation and presumably able to jump in as the 7th-10th starter, I'm not sure it makes sense to send Hall back to AAA when he could be a real asset to the MLB team out of the pen in a season they hope to be competitive. 

Yeah, while I don't want to get too far off Bradish in his thread, it will be interesting to see how they handle Hall next year. I think you go into spring training with him as a starter and let him compete there. If it doesn't work out, they then have decide what his best role going forward. Does he help the team more by continually developing as a starter in AAA and be depth, or is he best off as another dominant left-handed reliever with Perez.

But back to Bradish, unless he gets hurt or just bombs spring raining next year, I have to imagine he's in the rotation to start the year.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

100% agree with this. Kudos for Bradish for not having a let down after struggling in his first big league go around. Also, kudos to the staff and Bradish to developing him into a just dude with a nasty slider. The Astros literally can not touch him. 

If by some miracle we make the playoffs, your throw Bradish Game 1. 

Bradish should give us hope that Hall can go back down to AAA and have MLB ST, to get himself right. Kremer did the same thing. A demotion to AAA is not a death sentence. 

This is a very good point and why it won't be the end of he world if Hall is sent back down next year to start the year at Norfolk as a starter.

Bradish went on the IL for an "injury" but amazingly came back refreshed with a focus on that slider and improved harder curve. It's a credit to him to rebuild himself a bit within the season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish went on the IL for an "injury" but amazingly came back refreshed with a focus on that slider and improved harder curve. It's a credit to him to rebuild himself a bit within the season.

Do you doubt that Bradish was injured?  It was 21 days between his last start in Baltimore before going on the IL, and his first rehab start In Bowie.   Seems legit to me.  Shoulder inflammation was the announced injury.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you doubt that Bradish was injured?  It was 21 days between his last start in Baltimore before going on the IL, and his first rehab start In Bowie.   Seems legit to me.  Shoulder inflammation was the announced injury.  

I think they used the IL with him for a bit of a reset. I'm not saying his should may not have been bothering him a bit, but he was on a run of some bad starts and I've seen them do this with players in the minors as well. They give them a break on the IL and then they come back a little different after some side work.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I hear Mike Cuellar was pretty good.  Check out his stats.  Stuff isn’t just the fastball.

Comparing Cuellar and Bedard is complex.  Cuellar was durable and a veteran when we acquired him.  Bedard was a younger pitcher and somewhat injury prone.  Cuellar, like all Oriole pitchers of his era, benefitted hugely from the amazing defense behind him.  In his Oriole career, his ERA+ was 109, compared to Bedard’s 118 in far fewer innings.  

Cuellar had good stuff but he was also very crafty.  He threw both a curve and a screwball, and was really good and changing speeds and also his delivery.  Hitters who faced him were very off balance and never knew what was coming.  

Bedard had one of the sharpest-breaking curve balls I’ve ever seen, and he commanded it very well.  He also developed a very nice cutter.  

So who had better stuff?  To me it was Bedard, but there’s more to pitching than just stuff.  They were both excellent in their own ways pitching in very different eras with very different teammates.   

A more interesting LHP  stuff comparison might be Cuellar vs. McNally or Flanagan vs. McGregor.   Those pairs are directly comparable because they played in the same eras with the same teams, more or less.   McNally was always my favorite over Cuellar, not because he was better but because he’d been with the team longer.   They were kind of similar pitchers, with Cuellar relying more on deception and McNally more on command.  Gun to my head, I’ll say Cuellar had better stuff.  Flanny vs. McGregor, I’d definitely go with Flanny’s stuff, though both were very effective.  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Personally, I think two starters is overkill and starts to block guys who need to keep developing. We're on track for 80+ wins with Lyles and Voth. Replace those two with Grayson and a Verlander-level guy, bring back Means, and we have a very competitive rotation. If there is an injury, we have assets to acquire another SP at the trade deadline. 

I would send Hall back to AAA as a starter. Add to your list Rom, Baumann, and Zimmermann for depth. I also think Denoyer should start in AAA and could surprise people. 

I’d like to see Hall out of the bullpen for 3ip at a time next year to get used to MLB hitters, work on his command, and up his innings total appropriately.   Means is not going to pitch more than 60ip or so.  I’d like to see two SP acquisitions, you can never have enough pitching, competition is a good thing, and anyone of those guys out of the BP becomes a real weapon.  We’ve been lucky this year with injuries in the grand scheme of things.  

Edit:  sorry off topic.  

If Bradish can throw strikes consistently with his sided & curve and he continues to develop the FB & change he will be a force.  It’s a luxury that he isn’t our top pitching prospect.  

Edited by emmett16

13 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

You must have not been paying attention during July and August of 2007 when Erik Bedard went 7-0 over 9 starts in one of the most dominant stretches by any Orioles pitcher ever. His complete game shutout against the Rangers striking out 15 is easily a top 5-10 Orioles start of all time.

He's part of it too. I started watching as a kid in 1992, and my top 10 are probably the Means no-hitter, Bedard's best two starts, this Bradish start and Mussina's 6 best starts. I admit the Mussina starts are mostly a blur at this point but he made plenty of starts giving up 1-2 hits and 8+ innings, and this Bradish start reminded me a lot of those, where he just had command of everything.