Why McKenna over Chirinos?

interloper

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I think it’s that ole Hyder isn’t a very good manager. 

Been saying this since he got the job. Regardless of the lack of talent, he still has opportunities to manage and he’s just not good at in-game decisions.

31 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's also worth nothing that if he wanted to pinch hit for Chirinos vs Williams, he acutally did have a LH hitting option on the bench:  Bemboom.  Who also plays the position that Chirinos does.

Good Lord, I forgot all about him. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

It's also worth nothing that if he wanted to pinch hit for Chirinos vs Williams, he acutally did have a LH hitting option on the bench:  Bemboom.  Who also plays the position that Chirinos does.

Yeah, and he came in the next inning! So it was Hyde really thinking "McKenna is more likely to get a hit than Chirinos", which is just WEIRD??!! Ugh, I really just hate the move. It was nonsense. And I like Hyde! I just wish we knew his thinking on this one. 

There's no way to prove the following line of thinking unless Hyde or the FO came out and explicitly said so, but I often wonder if Hyde's decision-making is more geared towards future years, than the current season.

Not defending the move, but if I'm Hyde and I knew this year didn't matter, I could justify putting potential future players on a contending club (even if McKenna is a 4th OF at best) in precarious or high-pressure situations to see how they react/grow... even if there was a better "match-up" available at the time. Chirinos and Bemboom don't actually matter with respect to potential on a contending club.

I obviously don't know what Hyde is told via the FO or what kind of leash he has, but I'd definitely want to hold "contending club players" to the fire as much as possible to really see what they have before the games actually matter.

I might be leveling myself too much here and perhaps the thought-process isn't that detailed.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, and he came in the next inning! So it was Hyde really thinking "McKenna is more likely to get a hit than Chirinos", which is just WEIRD??!! Ugh, I really just hate the move. It was nonsense. And I like Hyde! I just wish we knew his thinking on this one. 

Well , he had to come in the next inning, as we pinch hit for our only other C.

The question really was, who of McKenna, Chirinos, Bemboom is most likely to get on base?   Because with the bases loaded, getting on base is the most important because any type of getting on base ties the game.    

And apparently Hyde's answer to that question  was McKenna.  I can't say that would be my answer.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Well , he had to come in the next inning, as we pinch hit for our only other C.

The question really was, who of McKenna, Chirinos, Bemboom is most likely to get on base?   Because with the bases loaded, getting on base is the most important because any type of getting on base ties the game.    

And apparently Hyde's answer to that question  was McKenna.  I can't say that would be my answer.

Yeah, I just meant why not pinch hit Bemboom. At least he's a lefty. That would still have been bad IMO. Chirinos is a good hitter for a catcher. That's part of his whole appeal. Ryan McKenna is a bad ML hitter who strikes out a ton. I like his upside to one day hold his own as a hitter, but that was not setting McKenna up for success there. 

32 minutes ago, OrangeTurtle said:

There's no way to prove the following line of thinking unless Hyde or the FO came out and explicitly said so, but I often wonder if Hyde's decision-making is more geared towards future years, than the current season.

Not defending the move, but if I'm Hyde and I knew this year didn't matter, I could justify putting potential future players on a contending club (even if McKenna is a 4th OF at best) in precarious or high-pressure situations to see how they react/grow... even if there was a better "match-up" available at the time. Chirinos and Bemboom don't actually matter with respect to potential on a contending club.

I obviously don't know what Hyde is told via the FO or what kind of leash he has, but I'd definitely want to hold "contending club players" to the fire as much as possible to really see what they have before the games actually matter.

I might be leveling myself too much here and perhaps the thought-process isn't that detailed.

I don't know, Mullins was the next guy up. Even if they are exclusively thinking about the future, it probably is far more important for a building-block like Mullins to have another big opportunity in the game than putting all your chips on Ryan McKenna, a guy who in all-likelihood will not be a long term piece here or anywhere.

There's also the idea that it's important for the bullpen guys to develop and learn how to protect the lead.

So, all in all, I think no matter how you look at it - it was a bad move for Hyde to make.

• Upvote 1