Disappointing Starts

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but not at the rate Cower has struck out and with a higher walker rate.

Adley thru fist 9 games in AA vs Cowser at High-A

Name             PA   BB    K     BA       OBP    SLG    OPS
Rutschman   44    11     11    .219    .432    .438    .869
Cowser         41      5     17   .257    .342    .400    .742

I'm not going to panic, but I'm very surprised after watching him last year in Delmarva control the strike zone well.

This is a guy who struck out just 19 times in 124 PAs in Delmarva. Something changed and it's not working.

Lawlar off to a great start. Word is Arizona was speechless we didn’t take him. But hey, Elias is smarter than everyone…

https://www.milb.com/player/jordan-lawlar-691783

4 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Lawlar off to a great start. Word is Arizona was speechless we didn’t take him. But hey, Elias is smarter than everyone…

https://www.milb.com/player/jordan-lawlar-691783

Even Brady House with Nats off to a great start, both premium SS (some debate if House isn’t a 3b) but still will have more career WAR than our pick I predict. Corner OFers aren’t exactly hard to come by, picking them in the first is another head scratcher, 2 years in a row! (From what I have read, Cowser doesn’t stick at CF, but can play there). Nothing against Kerjstad or CC but when rebuilding a club, why are you taking corner OFers in the first round?!?!

He's just not seeing the ball well right now. I watched Sunday's game and he swung at and through the first three pitches he saw, all looked like fastballs. He then flew out to left in his next at bat and then was domianted by a left-hander in his 3rd at bat, striking out on what looked like a slider. 

The reason why I say looked like because I'm using the Aberdeen feed which just has a camera high above homeplate.

It's hard to see if he's changed his swing with the terrible camera angle. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's just not seeing the ball well right now. I watched Sunday's game and he swung at and through the first three pitches he saw, all looked like fastballs. He then flew out to left in his next at bat and then was domianted by a left-hander in his 3rd at bat, striking out on what looked like a slider. 

The reason why I say looked like because I'm using the Aberdeen feed which just has a camera high above homeplate.

It's hard to see if he's changed his swing with the terrible camera angle. 

Man, I just... I'm all out of positive right now and this kind of thing is so depressing.  That we, in my opinion, took the wrong kid and he's now struggling terribly is really tough.  Maybe he'll be fine and is just working on something but we don't know and we can't see either because the organization has so many cheapness related failures, such as Aberdeen.  

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Man, I just... I'm all out of positive right now and this kind of thing is so depressing.  That we, in my opinion, took the wrong kid and he's now struggling terribly is really tough.  Maybe he'll be fine and is just working on something but we don't know and we can't see either because the organization has so many cheapness related failures, such as Aberdeen.  

Way, waaaaaayyyyyyy too early to say we took the wrong kid (though I do realize you said it's your opinion, which is fine).  Like SG pointed out, Rutschman didn't exactly light the world on fire his first few weeks and by the end of the year he was wrecking fools.  I know the Orioles do look to adjust players swings and I would assume Cowser will take some time to adjust.  I think he'll be fine after that and be starting 2023 in Norfolk.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

We don't know but feel free to get depressed over something you know nothing about.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ripken said:

It's still way too early to be concerned in my opinion. If he's still striking out a ton by May I'll have concerns, but he may just be going through a slump and it's magnified by being early in the year.

Still, K's concern me with guys without a lot of pop. He could be just trying a new approach but his swing decision have not looked great.

Out of the 5 players mentioned, Prieto did indeed go from so so to impressive while Dorrian, Dashbach and Zach Watson continue to scuffle.  Moises Ramirez, at Delmarva, is in a free fall at the moment and struck out in all 4 AB's last night.  He needs to turn it around soon or he could be in danger when the O's start tweaking things down on the farm.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Out of the 5 players mentioned, Prieto did indeed go from so so to impressive while Dorrian, Dashbach and Zach Watson continue to scuffle.  Moises Ramirez, at Delmarva, is in a free fall at the moment and struck out in all 4 AB's last night.  He needs to turn it around soon or he could be in danger when the O's start tweaking things down on the farm.

Watson had 2 hits tonight and a walk, above the Mendoza line!

Funny how much of a difference two weeks makes.

Prieto went from having a disappointed start to OPS’ing over 1000 two weeks later. 

Don’t look now but Jordan Westburg is barely above the Mendoza line in Bowie. More than one person was calling for his promotion to Norfolk recently. 

It’s a long season. Still a few weeks away from being able to make any real judgments. 

Zach Watson looks about as washed as it gets right now. .469 OPS this year and slugging .222. The only time he posted an OBP above .300 was a .303 in Aberdeen last year. You hope for better than this from a 3rd rounder. Like to at least see him be an organizational guy on a 4th/5th outfielder track. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Zach Watson looks about as washed as it gets right now. .469 OPS this year and slugging .222. The only time he posted an OBP above .300 was a .303 in Aberdeen last year. You hope for better than this from a 3rd rounder. Like to at least see him be an organizational guy on a 4th/5th outfielder track. 

He put up a 20/20 season last year but his plate discipline was very poor.   He has gotten off to a horrible start.   He does look like a miss.