The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

17,573 packed Camden Yards for Adley's debut on a Saturday night, about 2,400 more than the night before.

A chance to get some more fans to the stadium for a one-time event, and the Orioles pretty much took a pass. I wonder whether they have adjusted their staffing and facilities at the ballpark downwards to the point where it would be costly and/or difficult to handle a big crowd for one night. They sure didn't seem to be trying to draw one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

17,573 packed Camden Yards for Adley's debut on a Friday night, about 2,400 more than the night before.

A chance to get some more fans to the stadium for a one-time event, and the Orioles pretty much took a pass. I wonder whether they have adjusted their staffing and facilities at the ballpark downwards to the point where it would be costly and/or difficult to handle a big crowd for one night. They sure didn't seem to be trying to draw one.

Well they only have three gates now open, instead of five or six. They do say on the website that if a bigger crowd is anticipated they would handle it accordingly. 

Plus can't get into the park till one hour before game time. Three or four teams do weekdays at one hour before game time. Guardians are one hour before the game Sunday- Thursday. I think Orioles are only one on Friday and Saturday. The Athletics website is unclear but they are trying to draw under 8,000 a game anyhow. Most teams are an hour and 1/2 before gametime. Some are two hours. Some are two hours on weekends. 

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

17,573 packed Camden Yards for Adley's debut on a Friday night, about 2,400 more than the night before.

If discouraging actual attendance at games is the future, the O's are cutting edge. 

The way ticket sales work is a large majority of ticket sales are done before the season starts.  The team usually averages about 3k per game in walk up sales.  

I have to admit, last night was surprisingly low.  I would have thought a larger crowd would be scheduled for a Sat night.  I was expecting 5-8k more than what was there.

BTW, the amount of closed stands and lack of food options in the UD is awful.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The way ticket sales work is a large majority of ticket sales are done before the season starts.  The team usually averages about 3k per game in walk up sales.  

I have to admit, last night was surprisingly low.  I would have thought a larger crowd would be scheduled for a Sat night.  I was expecting 5-8k more than what was there.

I wasn't at the game, but on the replays it didn't look like there were very many people in the upper deck. If and when the finally do a full scale renovation I hope all of the seats in LF upper deck (outfield) are removed, those really serve no purpose any longer. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

After 30 home games, O’s attendance stands at 472,840, an average of 15,761 per game, 24th in MLB. That’s actually a smidge over where the O’s attendance was at the 30-game mark in 2019 (470,343).  That’s the most recent comparable year, since the O’s had attendance restrictions through May last year.

In the last 10 home games, though, the O’s drew only 140,732, compared to 172,337 in 2019.    

Notably, we’ve already played 7 of our 10 home games with the Yankees, which tend to draw better than average crowds.  On the plus side going forward, all 9 remaining home games with NY and Boston are weekend series and should draw relatively well.   

All in all, it seems quite certain that attendance will be up substantially from last year, even if you factor in the April/May restrictions of 2021.   I tend to doubt that attendance will match 2019 (1,307,807), but it might.   Attendance would need to exceed 16,372 per game from here to do that.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After 30 home games, O’s attendance stands at 472,840, an average of 15,761 per game, 24th in MLB. That’s actually a smidge over where the O’s attendance was at the 30-game mark in 2019 (470,343).  That’s the most recent comparable year, since the O’s had attendance restrictions through May last year.

In the last 10 home games, though, the O’s drew only 140,732, compared to 172,337 in 2019.    

Notably, we’ve already played 7 of our 10 home games with the Yankees, which tend to draw better than average crowds.  On the plus side going forward, all 9 remaining home games with NY and Boston are weekend series and should draw relatively well.   

All in all, it seems quite certain that attendance will be up substantially from last year, even if you factor in the April/May restrictions of 2021.   I tend to doubt that attendance will match 2019 (1,307,807), but it might.   Attendance would need to exceed 16,372 per game from here to do that.  

Have already lost a game but some giveaways and Yankees and Red Sox might get to around  1,400,000 to 1,5000,000.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Don't forget that one of those Boston games you say is a weekend game is not at Oriole Park, but Williamsport PA.   I don't know if that will count in our home attendance or not.   But the capacity is 2366.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Don't forget that one of those Boston games you say is a weekend game is not at Oriole Park, but Williamsport PA.   I don't know if that will count in our home attendance or not.   But the capacity is 2366.

2366 full-size people or 11-year-olds? 

Maybe Mussina will drop by. (I believe he still lives in Montoursville, about five miles away from Billtown, as the locals used to call it and may still.)

Interesting some low figures for attendance for many teams so far. Have 11 teams averaging under 20,000 a game. Most since 2000 was six in 2019, usually was two or three in most years.  Covid years exempt. 

Orioles are one of those teams.They do have some of their more popular giveaways coming up and as Frobby said a few weekends against the Red Sox and Orioles. 

The last weekend series against the Red Sox is Maryland Fleet week which usually draws tons of people to Baltimore.  Touring the ships and the flyovers are really fun. I usually go to the Locust Point pier to see the ships since the Inner Harbor is so crowded.You take a Navy bus from near the Science Center and everything is free or was free back then since they have not done one for a few years.The foreign ships were usually less crowded then the US ones. I remember the Swedish ship with there and we toured it with only two other people. The young woman had on high heels and a dress to give the tour.Seemed weird but she looked like Scarlett Johansson. Sweden has conscription for men and women ,sort of a lottery for 12 months. I see the Danish ship is coming. Dont see Sweden yet but I digress 

• Upvote 1